Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Having to send passport for a China visa -how long?

(19 Posts)
PossomInAPearTree Sat 20-May-17 19:41:58

Dd is going to China in august. Trip leader wants her passport by 15th of June so they can send off for visas. But we're going to Tenerife on the 29th of June, are we likely to have her passport back in two weeks?

Does anyone know if you can send an old passport rather than a current one for a visa application. The .gov website seems to think this is a possibility but trip leader wants current passports.

Or is getting Dd a second passport the most sensible thing?

PossomInAPearTree Sat 20-May-17 19:43:42

Have realised she csnt have a second passport. It's for business purposes only and you need a letter from your company explaining why you need one.

dementedpixie Sat 20-May-17 19:47:30

I don't think you can have a second passport. I wouldn't send off a passport you will need to use either

PossomInAPearTree Sat 20-May-17 19:49:32

Fuckity fuck.

Dd will kick off and refuse to come to Tenerife. She'd rather go to china.

buddhasbelly Sat 20-May-17 19:49:50

should be four to five working days for regular service, 3 days for express for it to be processed so would suggest a week, that's if all visa applications have been done right (if it's going in a group booking?)

info here: www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/visa/qzxz/t1021833.htm

scroll down to part 4

buddhasbelly Sat 20-May-17 19:52:55

apologies if they are applying by post 10 working days

buddhasbelly Sat 20-May-17 19:53:30

www.visaforchina.org/LON_EN/generalinformation/visaknowledge/263899.shtml

that's the official chinese embassy processing page info

buddhasbelly Sat 20-May-17 19:55:57

also, just a thought, does she have a driver's license as the airline you're going to tenerife with may accept that as ID?

PossomInAPearTree Sat 20-May-17 19:59:21

Thanks, that's really helpful.

No drivers licence but if it's a ten day turnaround she should just be ok.

Will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

buddhasbelly Sat 20-May-17 20:05:58

hope it all works out ok, enjoy your holiday!

Rafflesway Sun 21-May-17 16:07:55

We got ours in 2012 - also travelled to China during August so same time of year as your DD - and it only took about 2 weeks so you should be fine so long as you send it off as soon as you are back from Tenerife.

PossomInAPearTree Sun 21-May-17 19:25:06

Trip organiser wants to send it off on the 15th of June. 19 days before we fly to Tenerife.

PossomInAPearTree Sun 21-May-17 19:26:07

14 days even. I think it's likely this is going to fuck our Tenerife holiday up to be honest!

GlitterGlue Sun 21-May-17 19:30:31

Could it not be sent off earlier?

NeverEverEver Sun 21-May-17 19:38:33

Try asking Trailfinders. They have an express service. We got ours within 7 days through the Kensington High St branch (London) Phone them perhaps?

MollyHuaCha Sun 21-May-17 19:41:03

You can make an appointment to go to the embassy yourselves (without the organizer). If you have all the correct paperwork, photographs, letter of invitation or whatever is needed in your case, your passport will be returned the same day. I did this a month ago.

Alternatively you can get assistance from Chinese Visas Direct - it's a well known agency and they charge a fee for their service. You send them your paperwork and passport and they check if everything is in order. If it is, they go to the embassy on your behalf. If it's not, they will tell you by email exactly what you need to provide. They will courier your passport back to you.

Veterinari Sun 21-May-17 19:41:33

Just send it individually now rather than on June 15th

PossomInAPearTree Sun 21-May-17 19:52:24

It's a group visa, so I assume all passports need to be sent off together.

She might be able to get an individual one I guess if the trip leader lets me have letters from sponsors, hosts, etc. I'm up north as well so a trip to London for this will be a ball ache.

Will see what the trip leader suggests. He does a lot of china visas for trips. Thanks for the info about the agency though. It never crossed my mind you had to send your actual passport away for a visa!

Don't think they can be sent any earlier because the letter has only just come out to all parents saying to send the stuff back by the 15th. Unless trip leader will ring everyone and say actually I need paperwork back by Friday!

MollyHuaCha Sun 21-May-17 20:09:16

I've also used the agency I mentioned in the past and they are very reliable. Good luck - hope the trip is fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now