Talk

Advanced search

Portugal - buying car booster seats near airport?

(9 Posts)
Harry79 Fri 19-May-17 10:48:22

I'm hoping by someone with knowledge of Portugal / Lisbon can help me.
We want to buy child booster seats when we can to Portugal, as we think it'll be cheaper & safer than renting them from the car hire company.
Had anyone done this and knows a place we can buy them? We'll be driving south from Lisbon airport.
We'll have bubble bums with us, but for the 3-hr drive we want high back boosters so the kids can snooze!
So, we'll be fine for the first hour so can get out of the city & into the motorway before stopping.
Any tips appreciated! TIA

GU24Mum Fri 19-May-17 21:09:38

Can't you just take yours as part of your luggage allowance? We took ours to Portugal and didn't have to pay extra for them - that was a BA flight so I don't know if other airlines are different.

Teds77 Sat 20-May-17 11:09:50

I would just pack your own too. We had always hired but with the exception of a trip to Sweden the seats were always poor quality/old/took ages to sort out. So last holiday we took our own. So much easier! Straight on/off the luggage trolley both ends and no cost to take them as luggage.

QuackDuckQuack Sat 20-May-17 11:13:45

I'd be worried about my car seat being damaged as part of the baggage handling process. Give the importance of replacing car seats that have been in a crash, letting them be chucked about seems a bit odd.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 20-May-17 11:49:48

What will you do with them afterwards though?

Misty9 Sat 20-May-17 22:05:03

Get them neck pillows instead? So they can sleep while using the bubble bums that is. We have a boostapak and find that good.

Harry79 Mon 22-May-17 11:15:01

Thanks everyone!!
We're taking 1 boostapak and 1 bubblegum, but when they've nodded off in them they slump over to almost lying on the middle seat, so I was worried. Neck pillows sound like it could be solution!!

BertieBotts Thu 25-May-17 12:17:04

We had one damaged on a flight so I wouldn't recommend it.

Car seats do tend to be quite expensive in Europe though. For high backed boosters you're looking at over €100 each. Even the Britax Adventure, which you can get for about £30 here is €140 in Portugal!

Perhaps it's worth buying cheap ones in Tesco/Argos before the flight, doing the thing where you wrap them up securely and then check them? If they do get damaged, you'll have the travel ones.

2014newme Fri 26-May-17 15:41:05

We just use the bubblebums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now