Talk

Advanced search

European Health card

(14 Posts)
Brittbugs80 Sun 14-May-17 19:30:15

Having a slight panic. We have just booked travel insurance for us for our holiday to Tenerife next week. However, we read the policy and it's not valid (if needed) without a European Health card. None of us have one as we usually holiday in the States and can't use them there.

We've since tried several different companies and Insurance won't be valid without a card either.

The application for the cards cannot be completed as we don't know our NHS numbers, plus it's taking around 3 weeks for the cards to arrive, we fly out Saturday.

Can anyone offer practical advice with regards to insurance that will be valid without a European card?

LIZS Sun 14-May-17 19:35:09

Do you have ni numbers(payslips?) as that should substitute for nhs one. You really should have them as it will mitigate the cost of any health care, otherwise you would probably be charged extra on any claim.

Brittbugs80 Sun 14-May-17 19:52:15

Yeah we have NI numbers. We've just tried to apply online but the site is down due to hacking that happened.

Found an insurance whose small print policy doesn't require a card and having googled a bit more, it seems that it only wipes the excess on most policies and offer a reduced rate which you claim back.

I'm hoping we don't need to make a claim and then get one when we get back

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sun 14-May-17 19:54:42

I applied for a replacement one a few weeks ago and it took less than a week to arrive - and that was over the bank holiday. You just need your NI number. Can you phone them first thing?

NoMoreBones Sun 14-May-17 19:56:40

I applied for mine last week and it came within a week. Did it with my N I Number. There was a thing at the end to click if you needed it urgently.

dementedpixie Sun 14-May-17 20:00:16

I applied for replacements the other day and they arrived within about 3 days. You don't need the actual cards to have arrived to be able to use them. Use the proper site to get them as it's free

dementedpixie Sun 14-May-17 20:00:52

And we just use our national insurance numbers to apply

Suttonmum1 Sun 14-May-17 20:01:18

I applied last week and they were back well within the week.

LIZS Sun 14-May-17 20:02:35

Give them a call. You only need the reference number of the application , not the actual cards.

Pilotguy Sun 14-May-17 20:03:43

Did it online a few weeks ago for my son and I. He doesn't have an N.I. number so I just gave mine they both still arrived within a week. Make sure you don't use one of the sites that charges you. This is a free service through the NHS.

Brittbugs80 Sun 14-May-17 20:24:33

Thanks all.

Going to phone tomorrow as the Gov pages links to NHS page which is now down because of the hacking

specialsubject Tue 16-May-17 09:47:16

BTW for future ref - unless you only just booked the holiday, you took a big risk. Insurance must be booked at the same time as the holiday, although not with the travel agent unless you like burning money.

coldflange Tue 16-May-17 13:14:26

Just reminded me to renew DH's card!

Hope you get it sorted OP

dementedpixie Tue 16-May-17 13:15:31

I renewed 3 off the back of this thread. They arrived within about 3 dayd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now