Talk

Advanced search

Centre parcs-what to take

(60 Posts)
Boo142 Fri 12-May-17 18:02:13

Hi
First time to centre parcs and first time self catering with a 6 and 2yr old.
Any suggestions on what to take food/home wise! I feel like I want to take my entire household to relive any stress or excess spendings(I'm aware how pricey it is there, we will be swimming- a lot!) but need some realistic advice please! My husband thinks my lists are insane hahaha

Dueindecember2016 Fri 12-May-17 19:16:56

I was going to ask the same thing as we are going next month. We're going to take a pasta dish for pasta bakes, kitchen towel, kitchen roll, toilet roll, a sharp knife (as I'm sure theirs will be blunt), hand soap, a couple of pint glasses for beers on the balcony and a dish cloth smile

Iwannasnack Fri 12-May-17 19:32:26

Washing up liquid, tea, coffee, booze. The shop is pricey. Not eye-wateringly so but think overpriced corner shop.

Boo142 Fri 12-May-17 19:33:29

Good idea for a dish- hadn't thought of that! Feel like we are going to take more for 4 days than we do 2weeks abroad grin

CheesyChristie Fri 12-May-17 19:34:40

Some dishwasher tabs are always useful. Marshmallows, sticks and some of those instant logs for the fire.

sleepykidsplease Fri 12-May-17 19:34:47

Dishwasher tabs-they only give you a couple

Nursey1984 Fri 12-May-17 19:34:55

We got back this morning! It is quite expensive - we ate out once at tea time and once for breakfast / brunch. There is a supermarket that sells most things you would want but again expensive - we bought fresh bread for lunch etc but nothing more. We took most food with us. There was a dishwasher with three tablets provided, a sachet of washing up liquid, a dish cloth, scourer, tea towel and a toilet roll in each bathroom.
We pre booked and paid for a couple of activities and booked a couple once there - some are more reasonable than others.
Hope that helps a bit!

welshweasel Fri 12-May-17 19:35:08

I've always found them to be very well equipped. The supermarkets and restaurants are not ridiculously pricy but more expensive than normal. We decide which meals we are staying in and which we are going out or ordering takeaway. I buy everything I need for all self catered meals and don't plan to get anything in the supermarket but invariably have forgotten something/run out of wine.

LonelyCooler Fri 12-May-17 19:36:06

We went not long ago and there was no frying pan, may want to consider this.

Hoppinggreen Fri 12-May-17 19:36:10

I'm going with the inlaws - I'm taking my kindle and Gin

Boo142 Fri 12-May-17 19:36:11

So I guess we need washing up sponges and tea towel too?

Boo142 Fri 12-May-17 19:37:18

Haha me too! First trip away with them, my husbands even dreading it haha

Nursey1984 Fri 12-May-17 19:38:09

There will be washing up sponges and a tea towel

Boo142 Fri 12-May-17 19:38:53

Nursey184 that's super helpful, thank you

eternalopt Fri 12-May-17 19:39:31

They usually give you a little kit with a dishcloth and there will be a tea towel there and some sachets of coffee and a few tea bags, but I'd take your own tea and coffee as there's never enough. They only give you a small sachet of washing up liquid, so take a little bottle of your own. Last time I went, they were much more generous with the dishwasher tabs than on previous occasions, but I'd still chuck a few of those if you have them in just in case. Depending on what meals we have planned, I might take a frying pan, as some of theirs are in good nick. Also, if you're staying in a woodland lodge in longleat, don't plan a big meal in the oven. The ovens are a bugger to use and the time we tried to roast a chicken when a bit wrong! Alright for shorter stints though once you get the hang on them.

We usually cook a meal to take with us for the first night, as it can be a bit hectic getting the car off loaded and back to the car park etc, so we do a bolognese and take it with us in a ziplock bag ready to reheat quickly.

Other than that food wise, we do a click and collect from the nearest supermarket as our car is always too rammed to fit shopping as well and if you want to get there early and park up and use facilities before checking in and it's warm, you don't have to worry about fridge stuff in the car. So we do the check in at 3pm, dump all the stuff at the lodge and then DH drives out and collects the shopping and comes back in with it all before he takes the car back to the car park.

Walkacrossthesand Fri 12-May-17 19:39:35

Do they provide bath mats (to stand DCs on after bath) these days? They didn't used to, and I would take an old hand towel for the purpose.
Take some bin liners/old carrier bags, there's never enough bin liners. And washing up liquid - they give you a sachet of cheap useless stuff.
Ground coffee for cafetière if you like it - there will be a cafetière there.

Friendlylightupbear Fri 12-May-17 19:39:46

Take towels for the pool, it's £2 a towel to hire them!

User246810 Fri 12-May-17 19:40:57

We just take breakfast stuff and fruit.

patheticpanic Fri 12-May-17 19:44:22

ky jelly....

firsttimemum15 Fri 12-May-17 19:46:30

Took stuff for lunches and had yea out or takeaway on the nights.
Im festidious but our accommodation was spotless. We asked housekeeping for exta toilet roll and washing up liquid which they gave us happily.

The first time i took EVERYTHING this time i just took food for lunched and kitchen roll and surface spray.

Oh and alcohol. I wouldnt bother tsking glasses unless you want your own. I have done in the past but it really was spotless. Xx

Dueindecember2016 Fri 12-May-17 19:47:42

Which part are you going to?

PencilsInSpace Fri 12-May-17 19:48:09

lube

crunchadaffodil Fri 12-May-17 19:48:42

We went recently and were surprised at how good the knives now are - they must have had lots of complaints!

Boo142 Fri 12-May-17 19:51:26

We are going to Longleat 6 adults 2kids in a woodland lodge

Dueindecember2016 Fri 12-May-17 20:03:14

We're going to longleat too. Only us and the baby smile we're hopeful for good weather

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now