Talk

Advanced search

Italy first time

(7 Posts)
Druid123 Fri 12-May-17 08:54:53

Hi thanks for reading. We are going to Italy Sorrento for the first time my wife's father was an Italian prisoner of war. She has never been before to her fathers home country we normally go to Spain which I love. Is it very formal there. Bit worried what to pack my wife will of course take her whole wardrobe. I am a t shirt and shorts chap. Just wondered if I should take some more formal clothes. Space for me a bit of an issue as my wife takes up so much room. Which is not a problem normally

MaidenMotherCrone Fri 12-May-17 09:08:09

Why would you think Italy requires formal attire?

weatherbomb Fri 12-May-17 10:00:59

You're on holisay. Wear wgat you're comfortable with. It will be scorching in the summer and is no more formal than anywhere else unless you are going to Michelin starred restaurants every night!! Italy is fantastic. Enjoy grin

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 12-May-17 15:16:36

Sorrento is very laid back. You'll be fine with shorts even in the evenings.

If you like steak there is a really fabulous steakhouse called "Meating" - you'll find it on tripadvisor.

Druid123 Sat 13-May-17 07:45:54

Oh thanks I think its is just my age worried its so important for my wife as this is the first time she will see where her father left to go off to war where he grew up. She is the proudest Italian who has never managed to get home.

LeMesmer Sun 14-May-17 22:54:53

Although it is very informal in many ways most Italians would not go out in the evening in shorts, even during the day in the summer not many older Italians wear shorts out and about. You sound very much like you want to make this trip as enjoyable as you can for your wife. Your wife will presumably dress up a little (or a lot smile) in the evenings at least, if so, if I were you I would take a couple of pairs of long trousers and nice shirts at least for the evening. Otherwise your wife may feel very much like an obvious tourist in her own country (because of you) where she would rather blend in a little more. I say this having lived in the south of Italy for several years. Have a good trip, Sorrento is lovely - there is a restaurant on the beach with great fish, whatever they catch that day

Iamastonished Mon 15-May-17 13:42:22

We tend to stay in nice hotels when we go away, and I find that more and more people don't dress up in the evenings. Shorts are a no-no, but formal wear is very rarely seen.

Enjoy your holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now