Talk

Advanced search

Anywhere similar to Ile de Re?

(6 Posts)
Squarepegina Sun 30-Apr-17 18:46:24

Hi, holidayed on Ile de Re, a small island off west coast France, for last four years and it is heaven.....but this year I'm racking my brains for a similar feel destination but different location....struggling so far

Desirable criteria; not using the car, cycle paths, plenty of walking and easy access to beaches great for swimming. Also walking distance into village or town pref with market and nice shops. Oh....and decent warm weather. No big ask then 😁

Any alternative suggestions eagerly mulled over. Thanks

skyzumarubble Sun 30-Apr-17 18:53:54

Ille D'Oleron? A slightly shabbier version of Re about 45 minutes further south. Beautiful beached and no toll to get on and off the island either.

EatsShitAndLeaves Sun 30-Apr-17 18:57:00

What about the Greek islands?

Some of the smaller ones are really lovely.

I went to Meganissi twice, stayed in the largest village on the island in a villa. No car needed. Stunning views of the harbour - watching the spectacular yachts come and go.

Beautiful views, beeches, playground in the village centre, big town of Nidri on the mainland a 15 min ride on the ferry.

This was the villa i stayed in.

https://www.jamesvillas.co.uk/destinations/greece/meganissi/vathi/kalithea-5240?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&airport=-1&childAges=&searchLogId=0

Squarepegina Sun 30-Apr-17 19:00:57

Ooh thank you both....off to look them up!

EatsShitAndLeaves Sun 30-Apr-17 19:09:28

Just a word of warning...if you go to Megganissi you need to stay in Vathay and not Spartochri.

The former is a "proper" village with a village square, shops, tavernas etc.

The latter is a hamlet with one taverna and the nearest shop is in Vathay 3 miles away - so you need a car.

EatsShitAndLeaves Sun 30-Apr-17 19:10:15

Duh - Vathi....not Vathay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now