Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

overnight at Manchester airport

(10 Posts)
tich31 Sun 30-Apr-17 00:27:20

A flight I'm looking at gets in at Manchester at midnight....all the nearby hotels are expensive. I do have a chance of a train at 4.30am but would it be OK to spend a few hours in the airport?

I'll have my teenage daughter with with me. I could go to hotel and get later train but the hotels around the airport are so very expensive.

It's frustrating trying to book holidays!

Cakescakescakes Sun 30-Apr-17 00:35:12

I slept overnight in Manchester airport once a few years ago after connecting flights were changed by the travel company. It was a bit grim but we just lay on some chairs and made do. The cleaners were working round us etc and the place was pretty deserted and desolate with everywhere shut up. I'd take the hotel option unless it was totally out of budget. Otherwise you'll miss a full nights sleep and feel miserable for a day or two until you catch up.

DancingGoose Sun 30-Apr-17 01:25:49

I just stayed overnight last week and it was awful. there were loads of other people doing the same thing so struggled to find somewhere to sit let alone sleep or rest. i would definitely go for the hotel - there is a radisson accessible within the airport - wish i'd booked that!

HeddaGarbled Sun 30-Apr-17 01:36:37

Pretty sure there's a premier inn near the airport which shouldn't be too expensive.

Staying in the airport is of course doable but you'll feel like shit, as you will on the 4.30 train until you get home. I wouldn't do it.

toffeeboffin Sun 30-Apr-17 01:47:19

There's definitely a cheap travelodge nearby.

toffeeboffin Sun 30-Apr-17 01:48:23

m.premierinn.com/gb/en/search.html?searchModel.searchTerm=Manchester%20Airport,%20Manchester&cid=KNC_Gen%7C_G_UK_UK_Eng_Mob_LM_Manchester-Airport_EX&mckv=s603JDwmi_dm|pcrid|167693775299|kword|manchester%20airport%20hotel%20cheap|match|e|plid|&gclid=CjwKEAjw85DIBRCy2aT0hPmS1jkSJAC1m9UvJh2H9WSuKw74sxR0citventp4nMlt6YlVobj8R2c6hoCnjvw_wcB#/search/

BarbaraofSeville Sun 30-Apr-17 13:12:37

For the sake of 4 hours, I'd probably try to sleep on the plane before arrival and then sleep on the chairs at the airport and then get the first train home if I didn't want to pay for a hotel.

I wouldn't expect to feel shit doing that sort of thing really. The first day at home might not be especially productive but an afternoon nap and/or an early night and then you'll be fine. How far are you flying in from and are there jetlag issues?

Makemineacabsauv Sun 07-May-17 22:40:29

I've done that before as a young traveller in my 20s but now, and with kids, I wouldn't. There are loads of hotels near Manchester airport and not all are that expensive. We stayed in the Travelodge one year and the premier inn another. This year we're in a posher place but that's cos we got a deal with parking. Try the links above or look at holiday extras, booking.com, travel republic etc.

SunshineDeLaSoul Sun 07-May-17 22:45:44

The Irish hotel was OK, with a good breakfast. I would book that.

Kit30 Sun 07-May-17 22:51:44

Try a b&b as an alternative and get a later train so you get a decent nights sleep?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now