Talk

Advanced search

May half term trip

(8 Posts)
NicolaMarlowsMerlin Sun 23-Apr-17 20:19:47

Looking for advice. We have two kids - 9 and 7. We've done a mix of adventure holidays, cultural ones and villa holidays when kids were little. We just did a v successful short break to rome, staying in an air bnb and doing a lot of walking and a lot of the sites. It worked well partly because the children have studied the romans at school so they knew some the history and were engaged in seeing it in person.

I want to book something for May but am feeling stuck. Ideally places where we can fly direct from leeds bradford. Think what will work best is mixture of a relaxing place to stay and some cultural interest. I was considering granada so we can visit the alhambra, croatia so we could visit dubrovnik. But neither of those are currently meaningful to the kids, and I don't know much about Spain either, so will need to do research from scratch to make sure it's planned well etc.

Anyone got any thoughts?

mummymeister Tue 25-Apr-17 09:02:50

If you mean this May half term then you have left it really late! only 5 weeks away so you might not have that much choice.

We really enjoyed Crete a good mix of ruins to wander round and history with a couple of cracking water parks and beaches.

I would start looking and where there is likely to be availability first rather than choosing somewhere only to find that finding a flight or accommodation is really difficult. you could go onto a site like momondo and just play around with various flights to see what is out there.

if you want to go from leeds/Bradford go onto the airport website and see the list of outgoing flights and maybe start from there.

I hope you have deep pockets though because last minute bargains are a thing of the past and you are going to end up paying a premium for booking this late.

user1493122149 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:32:18

Hi Nicola,

We just returned from an amazing holiday here:
www.lechevrefeuille.com
Le Chevrefeuille B&B, St Cyprien, France.

Our kids are 10 and 8 and we were looking for a mix of chilled, relaxed and culture and this place delivered more than we ever imagined it would.

We stayed in self catering gite accommodation, which is part of the B&B buildings and it was just perfect, very clean, well equipped and beautifully furnished.

Loads of cultural things to see / do nearby: Sarlat (best preserved medieval village in the EU), chateaus, Les Eyzies (cave paintings), La Roque-Gageac, jardin de marqueyssac ... Activities: canoeing on the Vezere River, farmer's markets, vintage markets, farm visits, pony riding, woodland walks...

Ian, the owner (Brit) is a chef and he runs cookery courses for families. We did it and it was excellent (and, to be honest, I was dreading it!). Ian's really funny and our kids really got into it. I highly recommend doing that.

B&B has a fantastic pool in a very sunny, tranquil spot & the gites open on to a beautiful terrace / massive lawn area.

We drove over, stopping at a village on the way there and on the way back. Kids loved it. I loved it!

I am sure there are flights to either Bergerac or Bordeaux from either Manchester or Leeds airports.

I think I'm still a bit over excited from our holiday - my message is a bit gushy! But, it is an amazing place!

www.lechevrefeuille.com
or
www.cookerycoursedordogne.com

Cheers! A xx

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Fri 05-May-17 08:21:29

Thank you both so much, I gave up checking back as didn't see any responses so sorry this is a bit late. Love the look of le chèvre feuille user, thank you! I've been researching Sardinia and Seville (Seville we can fly from LBA but not sardinia) but just got the idea to go to Iceland and have found we can fly direct from Manchester so think we will do that - actually found this is not a bad time to book as hotels want to shift rooms if they aren't already booked, so have found an apt in Reykjavik we can get. It's not a cheap holiday as everything there is expensive but think we will all really enjoy it. Not much relaxing though!

Will look into your recommendation, user, for summer hols, it looks amazing!

Thanks again

BarbaraofSeville Fri 05-May-17 09:18:04

Seville is amazing. There's the Giraldo tower, Setas (giant mushrooms) sculptures, Arabic palace garden thing that I can't remember the name of, tapas, just wandering around, parks, horse and cart rides and you can get the train to Cordoba for the day to see the Mesquita and just generally wander around the city.

Reykjavik would be fabulous too.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 05-May-17 09:22:28

I'm not sure you can fly to Seville from LBA anyway - can't see any direct flights on Skyscanner.

You can fly from Manchester to Granada on easyjet between May and October which is something I'm really interested in as when we've previously gone to Granada we've had to fly to Malaga and then train/car and £££ parking/one way charges.

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Tue 09-May-17 17:56:50

Ah yes Barbara, I was assuming we'd fly to Malaga which is a direct flight from LBA and then drive. NO clue whether that's a good idea or not!

KeepSmiling83 Sun 14-May-17 12:01:05

I studied in Seville for a short time but had an apartment in Malaga which I used to get the train to at the weekend. It was about 2 hours and very easy so you could consider getting a flight to Malaga then train to Seville!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now