Talk

Advanced search

Flying Qatar at 22 weeks

(26 Posts)
organixeveryday Thu 20-Apr-17 21:23:05

Evening all,
So I'll be flying to the Maldives , LDN HRW via Doha in August , when I'll be 22 weeks pregnant, with my partner.

What are my chances of an upgrade , if any ?! I am a bit worried about the changeover at Doha as it'll be at quarter to 1 in the morning 🤔 for about an hour and a bit and I'm wondering where we will sit etc. This is a really special trip for us (engagement out there and final holiday before dc2 is born) and I want it to be as restful as possible , as well as the fact that I have barely flown , and want to make the most out of our journey!!
Thanks

Iamastonished Thu 20-Apr-17 22:08:46

If you are planning on getting engaged on holiday is landing in Doha as an unmarried pregnant woman going to be a problem? It is an Islamic country.

organixeveryday Thu 20-Apr-17 23:34:39

Shouldn't be as it's only a short stopover and I do wear a ring on my ring finger currently anyway although obviously passport surnames are different (could be plenty of reasons for that though).

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 21-Apr-17 07:25:43

Chances of an upgrade are slim to none unfortunately particularly if you are not a member of their frequent flier scheme.

theclick Sat 22-Apr-17 08:35:56

My DH and I travel A LOT and he is a gold card member at BA and Emirates. I don't think upgrades are easy to come by now. You could always just politely ask however. Sometimes they over cheaper premium economy seats at the airport which will make a difference.

theclick Sat 22-Apr-17 08:36:36

Should add above - I don't think they are easy to Come by now as he never gets offered upgrades proactively!

glasgoo Sat 22-Apr-17 08:38:10

Not going to happen.

halfgirlhalfturnip Sat 22-Apr-17 08:44:16

No chance, but also nothing to worry about for transfer or outward appearance of marital status.
A seat in business class is about 6 times the price of economy (bought reasonably in advance of travel), and provides about 6 times the space. The only way to get it these days is to pay for it.
Emirates sometimes email to offer a reduced payment (excellent value) to upgrade if they have drastically oversold economy but never heard of Qatar doing this.
Congratulations and have a great trip.

Move2yorkshire Sat 22-Apr-17 08:48:10

Slightly off topic but when I was considering the Maldives earlier this year I'm sure it advised against for pregnant women due to zika. Has this changed?

Bobandweave Sat 22-Apr-17 08:51:35

Move the advice hasn't changed. Pregnant women are advised to postpone travel to Maldives due to Zika risk. I recently checked as planning a baby moon myself

eurochick Sat 22-Apr-17 09:04:35

I agree that chances of upgrade are very, very slim. I'm a frequent flyer and in many years have been upgraded twice, both times when other passengers were being difficult about where they were sitting. Both times I was travelling alone and in the second occasion it was my 4th long haul flight with that particular airline that month. I was 20something weeks pregnant but I'm not sure anyone noticed as I was in loose clothes that hid it well.

I second comments re:zika. Are you happy travelling to a zika zone? They will spray against mozzies but I have always got a few bites in the Maldives.

Olegjogalot Sat 22-Apr-17 09:08:52

I live in Doha and regularly fly to London Heathrow. Even as a frequent flier it is impossible to get a 'free' upgrade. So many people want to be upgraded that most airlines now offer the upgrade at an additional price. My last flight a family of 5 (3 children under 7) were spread out all over the plane and the father asked about an upgrade. They were billed over 6000USD for the pleasure of sitting together!

You will have no problems transitting through Doha as unmarried and pregnant. In Islam women don't change surnames anyway so no one will notice that as strange.

Also, the Maldives is also an Islamic State (lots of people going on holiday don't realise this and find getting hold of alcohol in some parts quite difficult).

organixeveryday Sat 22-Apr-17 12:18:59

Thanks all, I'll be excited enough to just be going on a holiday, let alone a airline which isn't a budget one !
Re Zika, I've weighed up the risks and I think that I'll just go with it. Think there may be quite a bit of scaremongering going around, but obviously a risk each individual needs to asses themselves.

organixeveryday Sat 22-Apr-17 12:19:49

The only other thing was the lounge at Doha , is there one for normal passengers ?
And what is the food like on Qatar ?

habibihabibi Sat 22-Apr-17 17:38:15

There is an oryx lounge which is free for HSBC customers and probably other credit card holders ( worth checking ).
The airport is great , extremely modern, spacious and comfortable with nice cafes etc ,
Qatar often offers payable upgrades by email a few weeks prior to the flight but not on the popular routes. So many locals don't blink at paying business fares so there aren't spare seats.

mummymeister Sat 22-Apr-17 21:29:49

organix are you really happy with the risk? have you checked with your holiday insurance company are they happy to provide a pregnant woman with insurance when you are visiting a country with Zika? knowing how risk averse insurance companies are I would be really surprised if they were.

I know you want a lovely holiday before the baby is born but there are lots of other lovely places with no Zika risk. have to say, that comment had me absolutely open mouthed!

eurochick Sun 23-Apr-17 19:44:18

Me too! I guess as with alcohol etc every pregnant woman makes their own risk assessment. It's not a risk I would take. I think the risk is far too high and conclusively proved (unlike the risk of a glass of wine).

dailystuck71 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:10:42

Blimey, I'd never risk a pregnancy and travel to a Zika country. Frankly you are being selfish OP.

feesh Tue 25-Apr-17 16:24:48

I fly QR a lot and you won't get upgraded unfortunately unless you have high status in One World.

The new airport is massive and I'd be worried about that connection if you're pregnant - it might be worth flagging down one of the golf carts and begging them for a lift to your gate if you can. I'd also be worried in case you get a bus gate as 1am in August is DEEPLY unpleasant in Doha (I used to live there) but hopefully you will get an airbridge instead. You won't have time to access a lounge, you'll just be running across the airport to get your connection.

As for the zika risk, I'm personally quite a risk taker but we cancelled our February Maldives trip when I found out I was pregnant....I'd also be worried about medical care over there. Last time we went to the Maldives we did have to see a doctor for my son, who was good, but they just don't have the same level of facilities there which would be my biggest concern when pregnant.

twocockers Tue 25-Apr-17 16:25:27

Why would anyone even consider going to a Zika risk place for a holiday when pregnant - plain madness. And as another poster said insurance might be invalidated in the event of any claim.

feesh Tue 25-Apr-17 16:27:37

Also I don't want to be all doom and gloom but don't go to hospital during your Doha stop over if you're pregnant and unmarried, you'll end up getting locked up. Or if you do, just lie through your teeth and say you're married but don't have your marriage certificate on you because you're on holiday - it's genuinely a legal requirement in Doha before being treated but hopefully they would waive it for a genuine holiday maker with a genuine reason for not having one on them.

You should also check out the legal situation in the Maldives as that is also an Islamic country - not sure if it's as strict as Qatar though.

Dizzybacon Tue 25-Apr-17 16:30:41

Sorry I cant comment regarding you being 22 weeks but I flew with Qatar to Maldives last year having previously flown with Emirates, It was on the Dreamliner and I hate to say but its a terrible plane. If I had to fly on the Dreamliner again I would upgrade, pay if I had to.

All I can suggest is get a seat right at the back, you may be near the toilet or kitchen but you get more of a recline on the last row of seats. Try not to get a seat where the entertainment equipment box is located under the seat in front as this reduces your foot space again.

Needless to say I'm going to the Maldives again in 24 days and I'm back with Emirates. If this is your first time, you will love it smile

Dizzybacon Tue 25-Apr-17 16:35:46

Can I also add, yes its a Islamic country but the laws are very much relaxed on the resort islands. You can drink alcohol, wear your bikini and share a bed with, in my case, unmarried OH.

I've never had an issue with biting flies or mosquitoes. The resorts go to great lengths to keep mozzies away

feesh Tue 25-Apr-17 16:41:05

I know it's relaxed in the resorts; I'm just thinking of worst case scenario which would involve OP being transferred to a hospital in Male.

I agree that the resorts go to great lengths to keep the mossies away and therefore the zika risk should be significantly reduced - it's still not a risk I was prepared to take though, but I can see why people might.

Also agree with QR vs Emirates! And especially the 787, horribly hard Recaro seats. But QR is still a v good airline. And they've only recently started shrinking their seat sizes (to compete with Emirates who have been operating with the same size seats for years).

Dizzybacon Tue 25-Apr-17 16:47:15

Feesh I agree overall QR is v good.

OP I find its only the first leg that's a ball ache. From Dubai or Doha onto Male the planes are generally empty so you can stretch out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now