Talk

Advanced search

Advice on children in St Lucia

(7 Posts)
Lushmetender Thu 20-Apr-17 20:18:29

Hi I booked a holiday and we have 3 children. I was super excited but now a little anxious about a few things. Does anyone have information on:

(A) do the snorkelling tours provide stinger suits and provision for helping children get used to it? E.g. In florida keys, a guide had a big mat that floated so kids can view from the surface the fish etc?
(B) did you take mosquito nets with you as extra protection
(C) did your kids cope with the change in food etc without getting ill?
(D) are the injections e.g. HEp A have any adverse effects?
(E) did you generally feel safe? We'll be in north of the island?

I have been to tropical destinations before kids and had minor ailments etc, but am keen for an event free holiday. The kids will be 4(nearly 5), 7 and 8 (nearly 9). Thx

2014newme Fri 21-Apr-17 10:21:29

Hi we went to St Lucia before kids, no mosquito nets needed, nobody got ill. Not sure what stinger suits are, buoyancy aids were provided for snorkeling.
Heat and sunstroke are the main issues.

Mary21 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:34:09

Hi, vaccines aren't needed for St Lucia assuming you are up to date for the UK
www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/saint-lucia.aspx#immunisations
We did get bitten in the evenings but the resort sprayed and if you were getting bitten in your room would send someone round to spray. No mosquito nets in resort. Take mosquito repel ant. Locals used OFF which is deep based.
Tap water was drinkable.
We wandered out of the resort and felt safe. I think if you went to party night in the local town you needed to keep aware but no one we met who went had trouble but it's like any busy place with drink + and a mix tourists and locals.
We didn't snorkel.
We found it an easy location, English spoken, uk plug sockets, not as hot as med in summer. It did rain though

ineedwine99 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:37:27

Sorry to jump on this, how safe is the island? Can you go out hiking (few hours, not day/camping hikes!) somewhere or would you be better with a guide/doing an excursion?

2014newme Fri 21-Apr-17 10:58:54

You can hike in the Pitons.

PestoSwimissimos Fri 21-Apr-17 11:07:34

Top tip: if you're staying in the North of the island, dose everyone up with travel pills. The winding road through the banana plantations is a nightmare, the drivers are crazy and it is not a short transfer.

Alternatively, book the helicopter transfer. It is amazing and not stomach churning at all. You get wonderful views and it takes just 15 mins. So worth it ❤

ineedwine99 Fri 21-Apr-17 11:12:19

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now