Talk

Advanced search

Mexico advice

(22 Posts)
CharlieHarley Thu 20-Apr-17 07:53:42

We are planning a trip to Mexico for next Easter with our 3 and 5 yr olds...I have a vision of being barefoot for the whole holiday on a quiet sandy beach staying in cabana style accommodation. We're not massively bothered about the AI luxury resorts and definitely prefer a more boho experience but but need a calm tranquil beach within walkable distance to restaurants etc. Don't fancy the crowds of Cancun!

I love the sound of Tulum but am put off by people saying it's windy. Anyone any experience of this area or any other suggestions? Thanks!

rachyconks Thu 20-Apr-17 07:55:56

Go to anywhere on the Riveria Maya. Beautiful hotels, beautiful beaches, loads for families. Stay away from Cancun. The Royalton, Azul Fives or Azul Beach would be my choices with kids that she smile

rachyconks Thu 20-Apr-17 07:56:03

rachyconks Thu 20-Apr-17 07:57:23

Just saw your sentence about being close to restaurants - you are def going to want to be in Playacar/playa del carmen area. Azul Fives or some of the Riu Palace hotels

LostInTheColonies Thu 20-Apr-17 08:59:32

Isla Mujeres (offshore from Cancun)
Playa del Carmen (on the mainland across from Cozumel) (I see someone else has mentioned this)

Both were fantastic, with lovely beaches, hammocks, restaurants, sunshine etc., but it was a while ago. <fond memories>

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 09:22:03

Tulum is lovely quite a few boutique hotels.
We stay in an all inclusive but it is a smaller one with 350 rooms. My kids like organised activities and a pool so it suits us. It is very hot and my kids would have been hot and grizzly age 3. We started coming to Mexico when they were 6 and they gave always loved it. 3 year olds can't go to kids club so be prepared to spend at least some of every day sitting in the aircon whilst your toddler cools off. At that age good nannies were my key holiday priority!

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 09:23:52

If op wants a quiet cabana then playa Carmen and riu palace type places are surely the opposite of that 😂😂😂

CharlieHarley Thu 20-Apr-17 09:44:16

Thanks for all those suggestions! We would be looking at the quieter side of things so yes, Playa Carmen an Cancun definitely not for us!
Love the sound of Cozumel and still think Tulum is more what we are looking for.

2014newme - did you find it windy in Tulum? Were the waters choppy or suitable for little ones? Our kids are used to the heat being half Australian grin)

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 10:49:09

No never found it windy nor sea choppy. Been three times. Any breeze is welcome. Tulum beach is gorgeous.
If you live in Oz you'll be fine with the heat.

ihatethecold Fri 21-Apr-17 14:45:42

Ive just got back form Playacar this week. it was quite windy most days.
I stayed at the Riu Yucatan which was great. we had young teens in our group but i saw lots of younger children there.
Its definitely not a boho type hotel though.

Bare in mind that Tulum will be a good 2 hours from the airport and after a long flight you will be tired.

we flew with Thomson on a dreamliner plane. They are nice and new and have much more space on board.

namechange20050 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:49:53

Love Tulum! Wasn't windy at all when I was there. I stayed at Zamas (sorry don't know how to do a link). Great boutique hotel right on the beach in cabana style rooms. Would go back in a heart beat. Beautiful part of the world.

FairyPenguin Fri 21-Apr-17 16:52:33

We just got back from a resort just north of Playa del Carmen. It was windy nearly every day, and the shore was covered in seaweed (apparently it's the time of year for it). We went to Tulum to see the ruins one day and I think there was seaweed there on the beach too but not as much. Not a major problem but it does smell and you end up swimming through it.

We spent a day in Puerto Morelos and snorkelled there with the children which was brilliant. The town there is very relaxed and felt quite bohemian. Do have a look at it, even if just visiting for a day if not staying there.

We also researched (but didn't visit) Akumal - that looks great too, so have a look at that. You can see lots of sea turtles there.

I wouldn't recommend the hotel I stayed in so that's why I haven't mentioned it.

We had a lovely holiday - the Mexicans are so friendly and the sun shone nearly every day. Enjoy!

CharlieHarley Sun 23-Apr-17 12:43:06

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! Will have to weigh up about the wind...really not sure I want to go when there's a chance it could be windy at this time of year. Long way to go to be blown away on the beach! We had a windy holiday on the Algarve last year buit at least it was only a couple of hours flying time.

namechange20050 we have been looking at Zamas and La Luna so it's good to have a recommendation, thanks for that! Did the mozzies bother you at all?

ihatethecold Mon 24-Apr-17 12:46:31

It was breezy but not so much that it spoilt any part of our holiday. Its so warm that the only issue is getting sunburnt because you don't realise how hot it really is.

2014newme Mon 24-Apr-17 12:48:33

Agree the seaweed is an issue, it stinks.

Akumal beach is fab fir snorkeling with 🐢

dancingqueen345 Mon 24-Apr-17 13:23:45

We stayed just south of Playa del Carmen at the Occidental Xcaret. It's right next to the Xcaret eco park and most rooms come with unlimited access (via a river boat from the hotel lobby).

The 'beach' is actually a man made cove, so water incredibly calm and no wind to speak of- but it's not your idyllic beach setting.

Really great for kids with all sorts of animals inside the resort (flamencos, monkeys, parrots) and would highly recommend.

2014newme Mon 24-Apr-17 13:26:10

The occidental isn't the boutique experience is it though really and the beach us small and man made. However the access to xcaret is a bonus as it's,expensive to get in and a great place so a nice holiday extra.

ihatethecold Mon 24-Apr-17 16:17:23

We were told last week that Akumal beach is closed off to preserve the reef.

ihatethecold Mon 24-Apr-17 16:18:50

I went snorkelling on a reef in between excarat and Porto aventura and saw turtles in the wild.

usernamealreadytaken Mon 24-Apr-17 16:24:16

We stayed just outside Bucerias near Puerto Vallarta on the west coast, beginning of May (granted a fair few years ago!) and absolutely loved it. Gorgeous area, friendly locals, the big town was great for eating out and the beaches lovely and clean. We went trekking in the hills near Mismaloya and out on several boat trips. The only thing I would mention is the breeze that comes in the afternoon; something to do with the convection currents, can be quite cool. Would go back in a heartbeat ❤

FairyPenguin Mon 24-Apr-17 17:42:56

I am reliably told that Akumal beach is only closed to guided groups and that if you are staying in Akumal itself or turn up in a hire car or taxi with your own gear then you will be ok. It's only the tour companies that they are protesting against. Saying that, we decided not to risk going in case we were turned away as it was a bit of a trek and we don't speak enough Spanish if we got into a tricky situation.

namechange20050 Mon 24-Apr-17 22:34:03

The mozzies at Zamas itself were minimal. Exploring slightly inland where there is lots of jungle undergrowth there were loads. Went on a walk and got eaten alive!

Another place worth a look is Posada Margherita; Just down the coast road from Zamas. I ate there a couple of times which was great but it's also a boutique hotel. Looked fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now