Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else reconsidering their summer holiday plans now?!

(14 Posts)
Misty9 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:27:22

We've just had a week and a bit in a European city and whilst it was great, it was also tiring and ds's behaviour was definitely more challenging away from home.

We've already booked a two week holiday at duinrell in the summer holidays and I'm now slightly worried that we'll all kill each other it'll be too long with not enough to do for that long...!

Is anyone else reconsidering their summer plans now easter holidays are thankfully drawing to a close? grin

Imafuckingidiot Mon 17-Apr-17 17:31:39

Yes. We won't be going anywhere. Our DC are quite young and a quick trip abroad to see relatives was stressful enough. They're really not that bothered and just want to be at home and having fun day trips. I just can't be arsed with it tbh.

Guitargirl Mon 17-Apr-17 17:34:40

We've just done a Mon-Fri trip to Duinrell followed with 3 nights in Amsterdam. I was also tired at the end. The DCs wanted to stay longer at Duinrell but that was enough for me - mainly because I was freezing. We didn't go off site though, there are things to do in the surrounding area. Also - how old are your DCs, it's a very child-friendly site to let them go off exploring if they're old enough.

SummerKelly Mon 17-Apr-17 17:36:05

We're not going because of money but a secondary reason is that my teen seems to like in a different time zone from me, and also doesn't want to do the same things I do so I'm not going to spend £100s to just sit and watch her on her phone and never leave the hotel!

RazzleDazzle3 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:36:39

Duinrell's great though and lots to do. Amsterdam is nearby and a good day trip. So plenty to keep you busy, we've been twice but both times for just a week.

Could you shorten your stay?

Misty9 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:37:48

3 and 5. Oh dear...

Guitargirl Mon 17-Apr-17 17:41:47

We stayed in a very basic Duingalow which had a gas fire which scared me. I avoided switching it on which is why I was SO cold. The more luxurious ones have central heating I think.

The age of your DCs does mean they won't be able to go on a lot of the rides or the slides in the pool. But there are smaller rides, a playground and go-karts/bikes for hire.

Misty9 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:06:11

DC are pretty scared of rides anyway and ds hates water...I know!

228agreenend Mon 17-Apr-17 21:48:15

Duinrell is great. We loved it there. The themepark'is great, and also,the pool,complex. We tended to,go there first thing and last thing, when it was slightly less busy.

There's lots to do around the area also. There's a lovely sandy beach not too far away. Amsterdam is also fairly near, which is worth visiting. Amsterdam has a superb science museum (Nemo?) which is worth a visit. Also, there a lot of interesting towns nearby.

You'll have a great time there.

Headfullofdreams Mon 17-Apr-17 21:58:17

Duinrell is great. Don't worry, just take it easy and you will all have a great holiday.

Misty9 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:23:41

Ooh yes we loved nemo and ds was too young really to appreciate it when we last went. Highly recommend the Lisbon science museum too. We have already planned a trip to madurodam as ds loves miniature worlds. Hmm, maybe it'll be okay. And we can drink in the duingalow every night grin

Makemineacabsauv Tue 18-Apr-17 00:35:52

They are a great age for Duinrell!!! My two went at similar ages and loved it! And yes, you can drink in your duingalow!! Part of the holiday! Eat in the town rather than the park the local restaurants are fab! DS loved the €1 shop!

noramum Tue 18-Apr-17 08:41:20

No idea about Duinrel. But a city break is always exhausting. We spend 5 days in Paris and I was ready for another holiday after that.

We normally do either self catering at the Summer holidays or a beach resort every couple of years. That can be as relaxing or busy as you want.

This year is self-catering and while we plan lots of day trips if we want we can also just hang out. Next year we go long-haul Barbados, that's so different and not something we do all the time.

rosy71 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:05:35

Duinrell is fab! We have been twice. The first time we went for a week & the second time for 10 days but could easily have stayed longer. The water parc is great & there's loads to do in the area too. We've been to Amsterdam, Leiden, Schreveningen, the beach at Wassenaar, Wassenaar itself, a steam train near Leiden whilst there. It's also nice to relax at the duingalow whilst the kids play/ride around on scooters etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now