Talk

Advanced search

Flying UK to Dublin regularly

(9 Posts)
wasonthelist Mon 17-Apr-17 15:16:31

Looking for anyone (else) who does this regularly.

Do you always arrive the recommended 2 hours before the flight departure?

How long does it typically take to clear security?

Thanks

3nationsfamily Mon 17-Apr-17 20:41:39

It depends on your departure airport in the U.K. how long it takes to get through security, also which airline - as Ryanair usually has the furthest away gates which can take a long time to walk to whereas Aer Lingus may have a closer gate. At the Dublin end it depends largely on what time of day how long the security queue is, usually at least 20 minutes as minimum plus long walk through the shopping and to the gate. All of this assumes you only have hand luggage and don't need to queue for bag drop which can add another 20-30 minutes.

PatriciaHolm Tue 18-Apr-17 09:22:25

Where are you going from?

I fly to Cork and Dublin regularly, hand luggage only, and usually turn up an hour before the flight (heathrow/gatwick).

kissmelittleass Tue 18-Apr-17 09:29:50

I fly Dublin to UK regularly I always arrive 2 hours beforehand the security in Dublin takes about 15-20 mins then there's quite a stroll through the shopping area and a long walk to the gate if your flying with Ryanair. In the UK again Ryanair would be the furthest walk to the gate and depending on airport a good 20 minutes to get through security.

StickyProblem Tue 18-Apr-17 09:34:41

From UK to Europe (sorry don't know if Dublin counts as intl or domestic!) I'd arrive at Heathrow or Gatwick one hour before, assuming bag drop closes 45 mins before. If you don't need to drop a bag you could cut it a bit finer. If you fly Easyjet and there's a big queue for bag drop, they pull you out of the queue once your flight is nearly ready to board, so you don't need to arrive earlier to get through the queue.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 19-Apr-17 09:34:10

Where in the UK? Do you need to park? What is your journey like to the airport? How much of a disaster would it be if you miss your flight?

I fly regularly from Liverpool and Manchester (not to Dublin but other 'local' flights) and there is a world of difference between the two airports. Liverpool you can park a couple of minutes walk from the terminal and it is a small, simple airport. Manchester you have to find a space in a massive car park and get a bus to the terminal and negotiate a much bigger airport with security that just seems to take longer. For me, I have to deal with the M62 for both airports.

One thing I do remember about the couple of times I have flown out of Dublin is that it is a very long way from security to the gates - easily 10-15 minute walk.

If I can help it I don't go much under aiming for the two hours because it gives you time if there is traffic on the motorway, you have a flat tyre, it takes longer than expected to find a parking space or get through security etc etc.

But if you do it regularly and get into a routine, you might be able to shave a bit of time off the two hours, but I would always aim to leave an hour to an hour and a half.

wasonthelist Wed 19-Apr-17 12:01:31

Thanks all - I fly from EMA and live 10 mins away, so need to allow extra for parking etc and if I miss the flight it isn't the end of the world. - the regular queue through security in EMA is much longer (in time) than I ever experience in Dublin. I was trying to guage if EMA is out of line. For guidance, the best I have done is 15 mins at EMA, the worst just under an hour (this is security only) I check in online and have no bag drop. Best in Dublin was straight through security (under 5 mins) and fhe worst 15 mins. This is effectively an international flight although UK and Ireland have a free travel agreement (pre dating EU free movement) and EMA doesn't bother with passports on the way in.

wasonthelist Wed 19-Apr-17 12:03:28

I think EMA has too many flights leaving at once for their security capacity, but I don't know what other airports (except Dublin which os way better) are like.

gabsdot Sun 23-Apr-17 20:27:06

I fly from Dublin to the UK, Manchester, Liverpool and Gatwick several times a year. I aim to be walking into the airport an hour before take off.
I never need to check in baggage so it's just security and then the walk to the gate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now