Talk

Advanced search

Tips for traveling abroad with little kids

(8 Posts)
Ding3kids Thu 13-Apr-17 22:03:28

I've got a 4 year old, 2 year old and 3 month old baby and we're taking them on their first abroad holiday in may to Majorca.
Baby is breastfed. Flying it'll be both kids next to me either side and baby on my knee. OH is lucky and sits the other side of isle. But they're all mummy boys and baby girl is same
Any tips to make it slightly less stressful!

Ding3kids Thu 13-Apr-17 22:04:23

Sorry​ forgot to say, we're all inclusive with pool.

Eminado Thu 13-Apr-17 22:12:40

Leave loads of time at airport
Carry snacks
Carry new toys / colouring / etc
Consider carrying a tablet / 2
Take spare clothes in hand luggage - for you as well
Change nappies at the gate/as late as poss before boarding so you dont have to use tiny loos
Make sure you eat before you board as you cant with baby on lap
Breastfeed for take off and landing to help with ears
Dont forget cuddlies

Good luck!

HeadDreamer Thu 13-Apr-17 23:05:02

Both mine are daddy's girls and I don't think it is fair to sit 3+1. Swap to 2+2. You already have a baby so you have 2 to look after still.

I will second spare clothes. I didn't bother with toys after our first flight. They get bored quickly and can go through a sticker book in 30min. We have been to Majorca when DC1 was 2. It is a very short flight. Tablets are useful as they are great when you are at destination too. Also snacks. We don't eat them in flight but great during the holidays.

HeadDreamer Thu 13-Apr-17 23:06:04

DC1 at two won't sit on her own chair on take off and landing. But DC2 would. Be prepared for that. I would sit your 2 yo with your DH.

HeadDreamer Thu 13-Apr-17 23:12:32

As for eating on plane. Swap baby with DH. How do you think people do long haul?

juneau Sun 16-Apr-17 16:57:40

So you'll be sitting with all three DC while your DH sits in splendid isolation across the aisle hmm? Sounds shit to me. Why not hand him the baby if you're going to be sitting with the other two? Or get him to sit with the two older ones while you BF baby? Your DC will never learn that Daddy is a viable option for comfort and reassurance if you never give him a chance to pull his weight - and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Don't run yourself ragged - it doesn't do anyone any favours.

Practical stuff:
- Spare clothes
- Snacks and drinks
- Tablets/phones if you have to wait around
- Favourite cuddly toys for comfort/sleep
- A few little toys like cars or figures in your handbag for short-term distraction
- Push chair/Trunki cases in case of long walks in airport (these can be a real trial when DC are tired and grouchy)
- Baby carrier so you can be hands free to carry bags/hold hands of older DC

juneau Sun 16-Apr-17 17:39:47

Oh - and prepare for the unexpected. Delays can happen, so take extra nappies and wipes. Take 3 clean outfits for baby (even if its just three bodysuits). Take clean tops and pants for the older ones and a clean t-shirt for you.

And pace yourself. Travel with small DC can be really stressful. Make sure your DH pulls his weight. If you try to be everything to everyone you'll probably end up in tears. You need to be a team when travelling - not you doing everything while he sits back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now