Talk

Advanced search

Best way to do the palace at Versailles

(6 Posts)
Alex83 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:56:03

I want to treat my mum to a short trip to the palace at Versailles (my mum and me together), probably a weekend trip Friday-Sunday. I've looked online but I'm not sure what's the best plan, can anyone offer any advice? We live around London area so travel to Paris should be easy, but what's the best way to do Versailles from there?

- Stay in Paris or a hotel at Versailles itself?
- how do we get from Paris to Versailles?
- how long should we allow for doing the palace and grounds? Is one day enough?

We're history geeks so would be going for the history of the place mainly. Thank you!

rainbowthunder Wed 12-Apr-17 10:32:21

We only did the grounds and were there for 2 or 3 hours. I would think a day would be enough for both.

Are you just wanting to go to Versailles or have a day in Paris as well? It will be cheaper to stay around Versailles.
Also, are you driving? If so then it will be easier finding a hotel with parking.

Alex83 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:26:39

Hi rainbow I think staying in Paris might be the best idea. As we live in the London area we can just get the Eurostar (not take the car). We'll probably have the afternoon on Friday and a bit of time on Sunday in Paris but spend all day Saturday at Versailles as that's his main thing for us.

Any idea which is the best area of Paris to stay in to be an easy journey to Versailles and Eurostar? Also, will it be hideously busy at Versailles on a Saturday?

Thank you!

rainbowthunder Thu 13-Apr-17 11:54:02

You will need RER C line for Versailles so staying anwhere central would be convenient - the Latin Quarter is nice on an evening (and day) and would be easy for the train - there's a station near Notre Dame.

I don't know how busy it will be - what time of year are you going?

Alex83 Sat 15-Apr-17 09:43:13

Thank you, that's really helpful information!

We're thinking of going in May and visiting Versailles on a Saturday...I imagine it'll be very busy as it's a major tourist arrraction.

rainbowthunder Sat 15-Apr-17 11:13:56

I think you'll be ok, it won't be as bad as in the summer. if you buy your entrance tickets in advance online then you'll probably still have to queue a bit to get in the palace itself but not as bad as if you have to queue for tickets as well. Maybe do the palace at lunchtime or mid afternoon, it may be less busy. The grounds are huge and there are other things to see apart from the palace.

As you'll be arriving by train at least you don't have car parking to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now