Talk

Advanced search

Italy for Anniversary

(24 Posts)
bikiniline Tue 11-Apr-17 14:43:34

It's our ten year Wedding Anniversary in June and we'd like to go to Italy. I've never been before. Any recommendations for a 3/4 night stay? Thanks.

LIZS Tue 11-Apr-17 14:50:22

We went to Lake Maggiore for our silver. Lake Como is also very pretty and sophisticated.

bikiniline Tue 11-Apr-17 14:55:23

Thanks, I'll have a look at both.

Ocies Tue 11-Apr-17 15:00:01

We stayed here for our tenth wedding anniversary but that was quite a long time ago now....! It was lovely and quite off the beaten tourist track.

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 11-Apr-17 15:15:54

Florence is really lovely.

Bythepowerof Tue 11-Apr-17 16:38:53

God anywhere. Italy is amazing. Stunning place, lovely people and very atmospheric.
Yes to Florence or Rome as so pretty and so much to see.I think choice of hotel for romantic beak is key. Think about things like a pool. Freisole is just outside Florence and some very romantic hotels and a five minutes journey in. Perfect if you like a city but like to escape the crowds. Ponte Sisto hotel is a fantastic location in Rome and has good rooms and lovely views from the terrace.
Anywhere though is fabulous.

bikiniline Tue 11-Apr-17 16:51:16

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful, lots for me to research!

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 11-Apr-17 17:13:47

Try Citrus Holidays, they have some brilliant deals.

WingMirrorSpider Tue 11-Apr-17 17:17:16

Italy is indeed beautiful. I be been all over but for a short break I'd definitely recommend Venice. Florence is lovely too and a close second, but Venice edges it for me. It's like walking through history - no cars to dodge either.

LIZS Tue 11-Apr-17 17:50:37

Fiesole is supposed to be a lovely vantage point to stay just outside Florence but with easy access.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 11-Apr-17 17:53:32

As you've never been before, I recommend Rome. The Colosseum is amazing and there is so much to see and do. A lovely city.

Notinmybackyard Tue 11-Apr-17 17:57:58

I went to Rome and for a few days near Pompeii for my honeymoon. For our tenth wedding anniversary we went to Venice. I've also been to Florence and Capri. They are all worth a visit and interesting in their own way. Venice might be a bit smelly with the canals in June, we went in September and the climate was perfect.

MotherOfWren Tue 11-Apr-17 20:11:18

Hey, what a lovely idea I love Italy. My favourite places to visit are positano (you can take a private tour along the amalfi coast with stops along the way for around €100) and Matera 😍 everything there is just amazing good luck planning x

Squ1ggle Tue 11-Apr-17 20:36:32

Sorrento is just beautiful, I highly recommend it

Hastalapasta Tue 11-Apr-17 20:39:49

Currently in Bergamo, is fabulous! The lakes are nearby, the mountains are beautiful, architecture is amazing.

Personally I would avoid Venice, it stinks!

Sure you will have fun wherever you choose to go.

PetalMettle Tue 11-Apr-17 20:45:24

I did the same as @notinmybackyard (I wasn't on honeymoon) - Rome and sorrento. Both lovely. I've heard further along the amalfi coast even prettier. Depends whether you fancy romantic lemon scented strolls and long lunches or great history

bikiniline Tue 11-Apr-17 21:05:35

Ooh too many choices!

massistar Wed 12-Apr-17 18:44:06

Venice.. there's nowhere else like it. And it's not smelly.

tarheelbaby Wed 12-Apr-17 18:56:20

I too went to Rome & Sorrento with a day in Pompeii and an afternoon in Herculaneum for my honeymoon. So for our 10th we went to Venice. We stayed at the Hotel Bisanzio. It was a great trip - not smelly. Venice filled me with longing that I could paint or write.
If we had more time this year (Easter interferes) we would probably have gone elsewhere in Italy since it's our 15th, although I'd be happy to revisit Venice, or the Amalfi coast. Because it is so popular and also so compact, I think Venice is/feels usually crowded but it's worth it, like Paris.

bruffin Wed 12-Apr-17 18:58:37

We have recently been to Bologna, cheaper than Florence but lots of history and good food

blueskyinmarch Wed 12-Apr-17 18:59:46

My DH and I had an amazing romantic holiday in Positano. The Amalfi coast is stunning.

GreenRut Wed 12-Apr-17 19:07:09

Hi op. DH went to a place called Villa Bordoni in Chianti for our honeymoon a few years back and returned last year for an anniversary. It's absolutely stunning, amazing rooms, top quality food, lovely grounds, swimming pool, cooking classes on site if that's your thing and in easy distance drive of both pisa and florence airports. Loads of day trip choices too. The main thing I liked about it was how luxurious it was, but in an understated, informal way.

Sorry can't do url links but it has its Own website which you can search for.

Whatever you decide - I'm JEALOUS grin

GreenRut Wed 12-Apr-17 19:07:38

*DH and I. He didn't go on honeymoon alone..smile

PetalMettle Wed 12-Apr-17 23:35:40

gringringrin @greenrut

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now