Talk

Advanced search

Airbnb - no response from host

(9 Posts)
Firstaidnovice Mon 10-Apr-17 21:54:37

We're off on holiday on Wednesday. Have booked an airbnb, but have received no message or instructions from the host as to what we should do when we arrive (how to get keys, contact information, timing etc). I have messaged the host, 24 hours ago, and no response.
Should I contact airbnb directly? The booking is still showing as confirmed, and I'm pretty sure we've paid. It's over the Easter weekend, so I'm quite concerned about arriving (in the canaries) with two small children and nowhere to stay.
Has anyone had similar?

Gallavich Mon 10-Apr-17 21:57:52

Do they have plenty of good feedback? If so then you're probably fine and they will get back to you.
It's probably worth emailing Airbnb anyway though just in case!

rookiemere Mon 10-Apr-17 22:03:24

Yes contact airbnb customer services asap. You should have those details by now and giving them the heads up means they can chase the owner.

Firstaidnovice Mon 10-Apr-17 22:07:29

Ten 5 star reviews, but nothing since July last year. Hmm. Will contact airbnb, thanks. Only other apartment available in the same place looks lovely, but £££ in comparison. I've airbnb'd so many times with no issues, but have been so busy it's only just registered that i haven't heard.

Firstaidnovice Tue 11-Apr-17 10:49:14

Still nothing! Airbnb are helping, but they haven't heard either. Starting to freak out a little bit. Do airbnb help re finding alternatives?

Gallavich Tue 11-Apr-17 11:11:40

I think Airbnb will help if you are left high and dry but it would probably be better to book something else now and get them to refund the difference if they will agree.

Firstaidnovice Tue 11-Apr-17 12:26:15

Thanks. I've asked airbnb what our options are - it's a bit tricky because i guess the host could get in touch this evening, and then we might not get a refund. Also, there aren't that many places available, and of course it can take other hosts 24 hours to respond to a booking request, but we'll be there by then. Fun stuff!

rookiemere Tue 11-Apr-17 16:38:48

Have you checked if there is anything on booking com? You can book apartments instantly on that instead of having to wait for owners to respond. Hope you get it sorted.

Firstaidnovice Tue 11-Apr-17 17:14:32

Thanks! I did look on booking.com very briefly and saw a lovely place for£1500 grin Because it's Easter it was slim pickings...
Airbnb were quite helpful, they called me and said i could cancel and rebook if i wanted. Everywhere left was more expensive so they gave me a $200 credit. It's ended up that we're in a nicer apartment closer to the beach for the same money.
The original host then got in touch 30 seconds before the cancellation was processed. I feel a bit bad as presumably she gets fined or something, but her communication wasn't great (well, it was non existent), and I guess airbnb wouldn't have let me cancel if they thought i was being unreasonable.
All good, apart from the fact I've spent the day faffing and haven't packed....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now