Talk

Advanced search

Amalfi Coast tips please!

(11 Posts)
Pouffealouffe Sun 09-Apr-17 10:46:12

We're thinking of going o the Amalfi Coast in September. The plan is probably to rent a flat as a base and then travel around from there. Or we could split it up and stay in a few places. We're thinking a week to ten days. Any tips? Where would be best as a base? We don't have kids so it's just the two of us, and we're keen to be in a town with easy access to restaurants, shops etc. Thanks! smile

Pouffealouffe Sun 09-Apr-17 22:21:37

Anyone...?

ceeveebee Sun 09-Apr-17 22:31:04

We went about 10 years ago (pre DC) and loved it. Can't remember everything now though
We stayed in a hotel on piano de sorrento. Was quite central but needed a car.
Positano and Ravello were lovely. We went to see a classical outdoor concert one night while we were in Ravello.
All beaches on the coast require you to go up and down a lot of stairs. But nice once you get there.
If you are hiring a car make sure you get full insurance, the drivers are maniacs on that amalfi coast road and we had 5 scrapes in a week (one took our wing mirror off and didn't stop!)

Iamastonished Mon 10-Apr-17 08:54:01

Quite frankly I wouldn't want to hire a car there. There is a railway line that runs from Sorrento round the bay of Naples so Sorrento would be a good place to base yourself. You can get to Pompeii, Naples and Herculaneum via this train. Apparently the buses are pretty good, and you can get boats to most places. The only disappointing thing we found that there wasn't really anywhere nice to go for a quiet walk. Hotels are built right to the cliff edge so you can't walk by the sea, and the roads are manically busy.

SorrelSoup Mon 10-Apr-17 09:03:53

We drove there frim the uk and didn't have any accidents. Hugely terrifying on those bends but that's what makes the scenery so spectacular.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 10-Apr-17 09:56:08

It's worth getting a hovercraft to Capri as it's absolutely beautiful! When you arrive get the funicular railway to the top of the hill.

Capri is eyewateringly expensive (and I'm a bit of a spender) but if you go off the beaten track a little (maybe to the botanical gardens or to see the arco naturele it's beautiful).

MrsMarigold Mon 10-Apr-17 10:07:00

We went to Ravello, a bit nicer than Amalfi itself, rented a gorgeous villa, lots of steps though, we took buses and walked, it was relaxing rather than action packed but it was quite expensive but great food, great weather and lots of romance.

Pouffealouffe Tue 11-Apr-17 21:30:44

Great, thanks for all the tips! I was wondering whether it was absolutely necessary to hire a car. We're thinking of staying in Positano or Ravello, but we might consider Sorrento too now...

theclick Wed 19-Apr-17 01:25:06

We loved Amalfi and while I know you want an apartment stayed at an NH hotel there. The service is was exceptional and it was well priced.

cluecu Sat 22-Apr-17 10:57:51

We did a day trip to positano and would have happily stayed a few days. It's got a stony beach but nice for swimming and lots of lovely cafes, bars and restaurants across the front. And the colourful cottages in the cliffs! Pic below...

We got a bus/ air con coach from sorrento about 5 euros i think one way. A lot of people don't rate sorrento and it's definitely most touristy with no sea swimming due to cliffs and boats but it is good for a base to the wider area (naples, capri, Pompeii etc). We stayed in a lodge on a campsite about 1 mile out which was lovely as away from crowds.

cluecu Sat 22-Apr-17 11:01:56

Positano cliffs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now