We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gatwick to Heathrow

(15 Posts)
Headfullofdreams Fri 07-Apr-17 17:42:57

How long does it take to travel from Gatwick to Heathrow on a Saturday afternoon? And is a taxi the best option?

LIZS Fri 07-Apr-17 17:47:30

Depends on how m25 is running. Ds got National Express recently took about an hour and 15 mins. A taxi on a clear run would be less than an hour.

Headfullofdreams Fri 07-Apr-17 17:50:10

Ok thanks. Is there an alternative to the m25 if it's bad? Have cocked up flights and need to transfer between the two.

Optimist1 Fri 07-Apr-17 18:07:12

The National Express bus is very good, and a lot cheaper than a taxi (for one person - do the sums if more than one!). Runs frequently and I think it took 1hr 5mins when I took it in December and it cost £26 one way. M25 is not usually bad on weekends, but of course there are incidents that occur! Not sure whether the coach would re-route in the event of a big hold up.

The Heathrow and Gatwick websites have nice little maps that show you where the buses depart/arrive and I seem to remember the National Express site was pretty informative, too. Double check the terminals you'll be leaving from and going to. smile

Headfullofdreams Fri 07-Apr-17 22:30:45

Thanks Optimist but we are travelling as a family so not sure that would work as lots of luggage too. Will check it out though.

tissuesosoft Fri 07-Apr-17 22:37:12

Gatwick Express to Victoria then 15 minutes on the underground to Paddington, then the Heathrow express. But not sure how much it would cost

Headfullofdreams Sat 08-Apr-17 21:21:08

Would that be easy with luggage, tissue?

tissuesosoft Sat 08-Apr-17 22:37:05

I would say it's doable but depends on the ages of your DCs (if they can help carry)? Victoria has escalators and Paddington has escalators and lifts.

Blueroses99 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:45:45

Get a taxi. I'm sure Heathrow Express/tube/Gatwick Express would be more expensive for a family than a taxi and take a whole lot longer with all the transfers. I've never used it but if National Express is £25 each as per PP, then I'd expect a taxi to still be less. If there is an incident on the M25, taxi drivers can take alternative routes. And obviously most convenient for luggage.

LIZS Sat 08-Apr-17 22:50:01

It would take longer to go into London by train , tube to Paddington and then out to Heathrow.

mummymeister Sun 09-Apr-17 12:32:41

we have done this several times to get cheaper flights and would always recommend using a taxi. pre-book one to get the best deals on price. we have used different ones each time but definitely book. I always allow at least an hour but then I am obsessed about being on time for things/

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 09-Apr-17 12:34:59

How long do you have between flights?

notaflyingmonkey Sun 09-Apr-17 12:37:25

I think a cab is around £80 for an estate car.

Headfullofdreams Sun 09-Apr-17 23:05:47

We have 3 hours 10 minutes - eek! I have cocked up there. Ok so looks like a taxi is the best option. Thanks all.

I can't believe it's classed as a connecting flight when it lands at one airport and departs from another! Am so annoyed with myself for booking this.

Headfullofdreams Sun 09-Apr-17 23:06:12

I'll pre-book one nearer the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now