Talk

Advanced search

Impressive light lunch in London

(7 Posts)
Barbeasty Thu 06-Apr-17 09:47:49

I'm taking my MIL to London in a couple of weeks as a joint birthday thing. She hasn't really "done" London since about 50 years ago.

We have afternoon tea booked at 3pm, so I'm looking for ideas of where we could get a (very) light lunch maybe somewhere a bit special or with great views.

If the weather is good we might go to the Chelsea Physic garden, so would eat there. But it's a fair bit of walking for an arthritic 70-something year old, so other ideas welcome.

If it makes a difference we'll arrive into Paddington mid-morning, and afternoon tea is at Fortnum & Mason.

OP’s posts: |
LadyLapsang Sun 09-Apr-17 17:05:26

Oxo tower - if it's nice you can sit outside - or the restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery.

2014newme Mon 10-Apr-17 12:02:57

I wouldn't have lunch if you are having afternoon tea. Have a substantial breakfast instead. you won't be hungry for the tea and older people have small appetites.

Barbeasty Mon 10-Apr-17 14:21:53

The trouble is that we have to do the holiday club run, then get the train, so even a substantial breakfast for me is going to be before 6.30am. I'm not sure I'd have the time or appetite that early to eat something substantial.

Ideally I'd get something very small at 11 when we arrive into London, but I'm not sure we'd get much that early.

I'm thinking along the lines of a salad or starter, somewhere with views or other "wow factor".

OP’s posts: |
Makemineacabsauv Sat 20-May-17 23:27:22

Could you get some nice picnic bits from M&S for the train and have a pa Jed brunch?

Earlybird Sat 20-May-17 23:41:45

Maybe expensive, but it used to be that older people would enjoy Langan's Brasserie or Le Caprice. But I haven't been to either in years, and don't know what they're like now. But if you went to either, you wouldn't be far from Fortnum's. Maybe could wander around the Royal Academy, National Gallery, Portrait Gallery, etc in between.

If you're going to do a lunch, maybe think about pushing your tea time to 4.00 so you'll have a little break for activities / sightseeing in between eating!

skyzumarubble Sat 20-May-17 23:45:33

Sky garden? You can have a pastry and a coffee or cocktail depending on what you fancy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in