Talk

Advanced search

Travelling on a bus and train in Holland - child discounts and OS card?

(11 Posts)
Orlantina Wed 05-Apr-17 20:53:18

So...I know we need an OS card. We are there for 4 days so it will be worth it.

But what about DS? He's 11. I've read something about discounts but I'm not sure what applies and what he / we need to do.

The websites aren't very helpful

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Apr-17 20:55:28

Afaik an all day, unlimited ticket is €2.50 for children. Will check the age limit for you

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Apr-17 20:58:51

ink{https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/losse-kaartjes/p/railrunner\www.ns.nl/producten/en/losse-kaartjes/p/railrunne]]r}, in English even. The website is indeed pants! Not sure what the deal is with busses though, sorry

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Apr-17 20:59:20

www.ns.nl/producten/en/losse-kaartjes/p/railrunner Correct link

Orlantina Wed 05-Apr-17 21:01:38

Wow! Thanks flowers

Yes - been on the website. We plan to get the bus and tram and probably the train occasionally.

You'd have thought they would explain such things for tourists? It could add up if you have a lot of children as tourists.

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Apr-17 21:15:00

Ive never looked into it in English before, what a nightmare!

Amsterdam have a 24 hour bus and tram card for children which is 2.50. I can't find the page in English but maybe that's 'cause I'm on my phone www.gvb.nl/gvb-dagkaart-voor-kinderen if that's any use. I think all/most cities do similar

Orlantina Wed 05-Apr-17 21:18:45

Found this.

It helps

www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/ov-chipkaart.php

It seems DS won't get bus discount and he needs either his own 7.5 euro card or we buy single OV cards.

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Apr-17 21:31:22

That is quite helpful but it makes it sound awfully complicated, it's all really easy IRL.

BTW, it says he can get the discount (third paragraph from the bottom in the green section).
People who have a registered ov card get 35% extra reductions but that is irrelevant.

The unregistered ov cards are 7.50, yes. There's a 1 euro surcharge on rail tickets without one, on busses /trams too I think. You'd be hard pressed not to save the 7.50 back TBH.

LockingJay Wed 05-Apr-17 21:34:14

When we went to Amsterdam we bought a daily ticket for our Ds. It was fairly hassle free as I recall!

Orlantina Wed 05-Apr-17 21:41:31

We're going to Den Haag. Been there before - but we had a car last time smile

We've done Amsterdam a few times so we're just going to chill by the beach.

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Apr-17 21:48:30

Den Haag is easy. You'll be fine. TBH it's probably cheaper and easier with public transport than the car unless you've access to private parking a lot of the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now