Talk

Advanced search

Interrailing with 11 year old

(8 Posts)
operaha Mon 03-Apr-17 08:53:34

My son and I are spending two weeks doing this in the summer. Has anyone done it?
Vague plan is Brussels, Munich, Ljubljana, Venice, Geneva, Paris. 2/3 nights in each.
Just wanted to chat to people who've done it, advice on those cities or better ones??? I haven't heard amazing things about venice but it's also one of those places I'd love to see!
11 year old is very chilled and very interested in cities. Recently done Edinburgh, Berlin and Budapest. He's fascinated by architecture and language so he'll love it. I offered a week on a beach somewhere and he hated the idea, to be fair it would be quite boring but this will keep us very busy!!
So yes, any tips on things to do or see in those cities would be appreciated!!

BobbyGentry Mon 03-Apr-17 09:12:05

Went interrailing 24 years ago & loved it, Paris, Switzerland, Florence, Venice, Budapest, Prague and Amsterdam.

Venice was really good (boat buses.) Cover your arms for Saint Mark's.

Florence maybe worth adding to your list if your son is into architecture.

Paris: late night opening of La Louvre twice a week. The Garnier Theatre is amazing to visit (phantom of the opera's box.)

Lots of museums close on mondays (except l'orangerie (Monet's Water Lillies) which closed Tuesday.)

Enjoy your trip 🚂

Teds77 Tue 04-Apr-17 00:30:43

Sounds fab! Venice is great and definitely worth seeing especially if you fancy it.

Geneva is a bit boring (sorry..) but you can hire bikes and cycle around shores of the lake and there is a swimming pool created in part of the lake. You can also do a day trip to Montreax which I remember being prettier and more 'mountainy' than Geneva. I don't know if there are other option?

SafeToCross Tue 04-Apr-17 01:03:45

The batobus on the Seine in Paris can take you from one attraction to the other (about six stops). Am jealous, I was looking up Interail prices earlier today. Great idea.

operaha Tue 04-Apr-17 07:59:33

Teds... the thing about geneva was specifically to swim in the lake, don't know much about it but it's so beautiful I've just always wanted to. Same in Slovenia though, would like to get to lake bled, not sure which one is better, i suppose we don't need to do both. I could miss Slovenia and go to Croatia instead.... or miss geneva and do something else. Choices!!!

dancingqueen345 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:10:22

No recommendations but what a fantastic thing for you and your son to do together! Hope you have a great time!

Oh, maybe get a go pro - he might be kept busy the following 2 weeks putting a video together!

exexpat Tue 04-Apr-17 08:15:09

I took my DCs on a two-week interrail trip when they were 12 and 8, and it worked very well. Two or three nights in each place is a good plan.

Geneva was one of our stops, to visit a relative, but tbh apart from that I wouldn't say it was worth it, unless your DS is very into science and would like to visit CERN (home of the large hadron collider - they have a good visitor centre, and it is a short tram ride from the centre of town). Our hotel in Geneva turned out to be in the middle of the red light district - there is quite a seedy side to the place...

We've done Brussels, Paris and Venice on different trips - all definitely worthwhile. We also had a couple of days in a quieter lakeside location (Lindau, Lake Constance) on the interrail trip which was good for relaxing after some of the busier cities.

Other European cities my DCs have really liked include Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Berlin and Bratislava.

bluejelly Tue 04-Apr-17 08:23:50

What an amazing thing to do. I wish I'd done that with my dd (she's too old now to go on hold with her mum)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now