Talk

Advanced search

What if flight name doesn't exactly match passport

(26 Posts)
ThisCharmingW0man Sun 02-Apr-17 19:45:08

DH has booked plane tickets in our DC's shortened versions of their name (e.g. Tom rather than Thomas), however passports have their full names. Will this pose a problem at check-in? We are flying short haul with Ryanair.

MollyHuaCha Sun 02-Apr-17 19:47:07

Is have thought it might cause a problem. Sorry...

nicknamehelp Sun 02-Apr-17 19:50:28

It might cause a problem but last yrar I accidentally miss spelt my ds surname and we got there and back no questions asked

ThisCharmingW0man Sun 02-Apr-17 19:52:33

Ok thanks. Might chance it then as I'm sure Ryanair will charge some crazy price to amend the ticket....

SaudadeObama Sun 02-Apr-17 19:52:41

Yes, you might need to change it. Always book with exactly the names on the passport. Although if it's labelled as Master T. Smith and the name on the passport is Thomas Smith then you might be ok. Better to be safe than sorry and unfortunately you usually pay extra to change. Next time hopefully dumbnuts won't book with nicknames hmm

ThisCharmingW0man Sun 02-Apr-17 20:27:11

Just checked Ryanair website - its £110 per passenger to amend flight name, or £160 at the airport... so that's either £220 or £320 which I think is more than the flights cost!! Am inclined to risk it but please let me know if anyone has experience of this!

Boooooom Sun 02-Apr-17 20:32:04

I had this last year with my friend, I've known her for 25 years as Hana...she admitted to me her name is spelt Hannah...AFTER I booked us flights. This was through easy jet. After some teary eyed explaination at the check in the nice lady did it no problem and for free. It was a bit nerve wracking not knowing if it would be ok or not but saved £110...

Boooooom Sun 02-Apr-17 20:32:57

Although I don't seem to remember there being an option with Easy Jet to change the details at the airport...

Boooooom Sun 02-Apr-17 20:33:43

I mean that I don't remember seeing a price for it online before we went there to wing it...

DaisyBlameless Sun 02-Apr-17 20:34:39

Easyjet would be much more lenient.

Ryan air will charge you. I swear the check in staff are on commission.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 02-Apr-17 20:35:15

I booked DH on a flight recently with his middle name (name he is known by) and decided to wing it - it was fine - no one mentioned it.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 02-Apr-17 20:36:44

Ours was BA.

kingscrossnoodle Sun 02-Apr-17 20:38:24

It is usually cheaper to book new flights with Ryanair that it is to change details on existing flights. I suppose it depends on affordability on the day. I would take a chance, based on the fact that I could afford to pay whatever to change if I needed to at the airport. If it's going to cause any problems financially on the day of travel I would sort it asap.

BikeRunSki Sun 02-Apr-17 20:41:09

One of Bill Bryson's books opens with him stranded at a small airport in the back RBS of nowhere, trying to convince the check in clerk that "Bill Bryson" on the ticket is the "William Bryson" on his passport.

(Not helpful, sorry, but in your case I'd risk it)

user1488788454 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:41:10

When we booked a holiday through the travel agent, they spelt my mams name wrong and I corrected her and the lady said it must match smile

yellowdaffsarein Sun 02-Apr-17 20:42:14

I had this recently. I booked flights with BA and it automatically took the names from our executive club details.
For some reason I'm down as A Brown rather than Anna Brown.
I was talking to ex club about something different and they pointed it out, wanted me to pay ££ and said I might be refused boarding.

I decided to risk it, no one even mentioned it.

ThisCharmingW0man Sun 02-Apr-17 20:44:15

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we will wing it and see what happens on the day. Also I'm not sure whether the £110 is per passenger per flight or £110 for outwards and return flights... could be a pricey one.

MadeForThis Sun 02-Apr-17 20:44:28

EasyJet let my DH fly when his flight was booked under his middle name instead of his first name. Internal return uk flight. No one questioned his explanation.

kingscrossnoodle Sun 02-Apr-17 20:50:05

Per pax per flight I'm afraid

hideehigh Sun 02-Apr-17 20:58:42

Jet2 I booked a flight for a French acquaintance (with a very French name I had never heard of) and got the nom and prénom mixed up. At the check in desk the lovely lady took care of it no problem. Good luck!

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Sun 02-Apr-17 21:03:55

I'd risk it with anyone except Ryanair.

DaisyBlameless Sun 02-Apr-17 21:31:00

I agree with Artemisia, anyone else would be ok I think.

ThisCharmingW0man Sun 02-Apr-17 21:38:49

Hmmm. Perhaps then we'd better ring up tomorrow as 2 kids both outward and return would come to a whopping £640 at the airport. Gulp

ThisCharmingW0man Mon 03-Apr-17 10:47:56

Good news. DH contacted Ryanair via web chat this morning and got their details changed for free, so boarding passes now match passports. A lesson learnt for next time!

DaisyBlameless Mon 03-Apr-17 13:31:44

Excellent, I was coming on here this morning to advise you calling them, really glad it's sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now