Talk

Advanced search

Fit to fly certificate

(10 Posts)
Emma271988 Fri 31-Mar-17 07:41:39

Hi

I'm new to mums net and was hoping to get some opinions from other mums about fit to fly certificates. I've never flown whilst pregnant before and read on jet 2s website that I needed a fit to fly certificate from 28 weeks which I will hit whilst away. I went to my gp yesterday and asked how to get one and was advised to put it in writing and there would be a charge of £60! I was also told the gp probably wouldn't need to see me. I have since looked online and seen that other doctor surgeries charge between £15-£20.

I was wondering if anyone else had to pay such an excessive amount for a template letter which is what the receptionist called it and if there was any other way of getting one.

Any advice or opinions would be gratefully appeciated.

Thank you smile

travelmad Fri 31-Mar-17 07:47:40

I flew just before 28 weeks but as I was high risk and would be carrying syringes/needles on the plane, I was given a given a fit to fly certificate and a letter explaining my medication to give to security. I didn't have to pay anything for it - but it came from my hospital consultant rather than my GP. Have you asked your midwife?

ems137 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:07:39

I had to pay for one when I flew at 28 weeks 2 years ago. I'm sure it was only £15 though. I would have been stubborn and persuaded someone else t do it had it been £60!

Emma271988 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:56:15

I have asked my midwife to do one but she says she doesn't do them. Is there anyone else that might do it?

HalfCarrot Fri 31-Mar-17 09:01:45

That does sound a lot. Can't you print out a form from the airline and the gp just stamps it? Its £35 here for a full on letter. Hoping fit to fly will be cheaper, I need the same as you.

PenelopeParmesan Fri 31-Mar-17 09:05:21

It's not an NHS service, you are paying for their time (which could perhaps be available to someone unwell) and for them to put their clinical opinion on a legal document.

PestoSwimissimos Fri 31-Mar-17 09:06:03

I had to have one when I smashed my knee skiing because I was flying home the next day. I was lucky because I forgot I would need this, but my chalet host reminded the Medical Centre who were treating me, and they added it on to my Medical Report which I brought home with me
At the airport they initially overlooked asking to see it, but then I was tannoyed at the gate and the staff there needed to check it before I was allowed to board.

BareGrylls Fri 31-Mar-17 15:05:47

Airlines take these things very seriously as an emergency landing could be the outcome if the person isn't fit to fly.
When a friend had an accident abroad Jet2 asked for a fit to fly cert. She had to be seen by a doctor the day before the flight to get the certificate The doctor certainly didn't "rubber stamp" the certificate as he said he would be held responsible.
The airline rang her a few hours before the flight to make sure she had the paperwork and then tannoyed her at the airport to bring it to the desk. She was given the third degree even with the certificate.

MrsAmaretto Fri 31-Mar-17 21:08:59

What nonsense of course the midwife can do one. Our nearest maternity hospital is an hours flight away (live in Shetland) and the midwife just checks your blood pressure and signs it.

Is it a return flight though? They only last 12or 24hours I can't remember which

Iamastonished Sat 01-Apr-17 09:35:03

Maybe they are more flexible because of where you live MrsAmaretto, or maybe different health authorities have different rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now