We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Within 6-8 hours driving from Calais - where to go?

(20 Posts)
228agreenend Tue 28-Mar-17 14:09:07

Has anyone got any recommendations for gites, holiday parks (prefer smaller sites) etc to within 6-8 hours driving from Calais. We like to explore, and activity holidays, but don't like large holiday parks.

Last year went to Chant d'oiseaux , , in the Loire valley , which was lovely. Would perhaps,like something nearer the sea this year.

Don't mind where in Europe, or even further afield if it's easy driving.

jenpetronus Tue 28-Mar-17 15:51:29

I love the South Brittany coast. But am totally biased as I've lived here for years & rent out a gite Happy to offer advice on this area if you like the look of it smile

228agreenend Thu 30-Mar-17 20:45:30

Thanks for replying. How long does it take to get from Calais? What's in the area for teens? What's your availability?

Hollyandtheiveee Thu 30-Mar-17 20:52:31

Logis de cabane in breville is amazing! So much for the kids to do on site and so peaceful.

jenpetronus Fri 31-Mar-17 07:37:46

It's about 6 hours from Calais - I wasn't trying to talk you into coming here specifically! (we have only a few July weeks left anyway) just the area in general. Dashing off to school, I've got a 15 yr old DS1, I'll get his opinion later, he's thoughts about what to do for teens are probably worlds apart from mine wink

frenchfancy Fri 31-Mar-17 22:53:37

The Vendee is about 6.5 hours from Calais. Loads of sites and fabulous beaches.

Ojoj1974 Fri 31-Mar-17 22:55:48

Illes d'rai. Not too sure how far. Fabulous I can highly recommend it

Amousetookastroll Fri 31-Mar-17 23:03:21

Annecy - beautiful lake, surrounded by mountains - loads of campsites etc to choose from and lots to do in the area. Been before but went last year with the kids (9&7) and all loved it

228agreenend Sat 01-Apr-17 20:03:01

Annecy - Dh went on family holidays there and has a lot,of happy memories, How,long did I it take,to get there? Where did you stay? What would you recommend to do?

228agreenend Sat 01-Apr-17 20:03:18

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:04:13

Bonne Ansye Plague. .

Amousetookastroll Mon 03-Apr-17 02:25:49

Driving was about 8 - 9 hours although could do it quicker (more breaks with kids - seem to remember about 7 when she t was just us). We stayed at Camping les Fontaines (Eurocamp) which was relatively quiet but had enough activities and pools for some chill out time. Old town Annecy itself is lovely with some nice restaurants, ice cream parlours, shops etc but away from the town the kids loved renting a boat and going out in to the lake, there are some really nice walks and views if you go up into the mountains, caves and waterfalls (sorry can't remember the name). One tip would be to avoid arriving on a Saturday afternoon as traffic through the town was bad as it seemed to be a popular changeover day

irregularegular Wed 05-Apr-17 14:53:11

lecosycamp, near Puy, is lovely, but may be pushing your driving limit.

rainbowthunder Thu 06-Apr-17 16:52:55

There are lots of nice places in Normandy on the coast near Caen and is an easy drive. Vendee is just about in your driving limit - not as much character but great beaches and the weather is generally very good there. We've only stayed on larger holiday parks so can't recommend anything specific.

kath6144 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:39:47

We have stayed a number of times at a caravan site near Sarzeau, in S Brittany, on the Rhuys peninsula between the Gulf of Morbihan and the Atlantic Ocean. It is near to the area that Jen has the gite mentioned above. My 2 are now 19 and 17 but have loved going there, first time about 10yrs ago.

There are plenty of watersports on the Gulf of Morbihan (we take our own canoes but they can be hired/organised trips), boat trips there and out to islands, lots of beaches, plenty of cycling areas. Weather is not quite as guaranteed as on the Vendee, but probably as good as the Loire.

The site we have stayed on has statics, as well as accommodating tourers and tents. Not tiny, but certainly not a huge park. There is a pool, restaurant, and some entertainment, but nothing like a massive park. Just off main road along the peninsula and close to supermarkets and the actual town of Sarzeau.

It has changed hands since we first went, we only been once since the change, looking at website now it seems to be part of a chain, but it is a nice site in a good location, between lovely beaches and the Gulf.

It is called Lodge club, www.lodgeclub.fr

There are also plenty of gites in the area. A friend of mine stayed in one a couple of years ago about a mile from the site, booked I think through Brittany ferries holidays.

jenpetronus Fri 14-Apr-17 14:10:43

kath I know that site!! There is a caravan club rally that goes there from the SW of England, every year they come to our school fete (there's about 60 of them, so I organise tables & generally look after them!) It's a small world indeed shock

Did you find anywhere in the end OP?

kath6144 Mon 17-Apr-17 08:26:17

Jen - yes it was (maybe still is) one of the recommended caravan club sites in France. We are CC members and it was the very first site we went to in France, 10 yrs ago. Picked as not too far to travel in France and also we liked the look of both beaches and Gulf. We have been back a no of times, combining it sometimes with other sites.

It was originally owned by a Dutch couple and run very smoothly, the main change we saw 3yrs ago was more cabins being built, but on extra land so hopefully the tourer capacity doesnt go down.

We went elsewhere in Europe last year, after staying in Uk in 2015, and going USA this year, so not sure when we will go back, but we will. Love the area and Vannes too.

jenpetronus Mon 17-Apr-17 09:27:43

Get in touch when you are back here - the kettle is always on grin

ProfAnnieT Mon 17-Apr-17 09:42:26

The Dutch coast is nice and about 3 hours from Calais, and lots of interesting stuff within striking distance.

Denmark is about 9 hours, so a bit outside your drive time but has the most beautiful beaches.

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 17-Apr-17 09:51:12

Was just coming on to say Holland too Prof. We had a memorable holiday in an old VW campervan three years ago, with our two DS then aged 10 and 5. We drove from Calais across Belgium and into Holland and stayed at a lovely campsite called Deltste Hout just outside of Delft. Lots of cycle paths of course so take bikes! And not far from beautiful coast. We are now proud owners of a new shiny campervan and its on my list of places to revisit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now