Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much spending money for Canadian trip?

(9 Posts)
mumtomaxwell Mon 27-Mar-17 15:12:56

We're off to Toronto in July for 2 weeks, staying with friends so accommodation is sorted. Will £1500 be enough spending money? There's 5 of us (2 adults plus kids 9, 9 and 4).

CatsRule Mon 15-May-17 16:43:36

No idea but we're in a similar boat and bot sure how much to take?!! Have you decided?

mummymeister Mon 15-May-17 16:49:15

we took a mix of cash and a card and ended up bringing back almost all of the cash with us. everywhere seems to take cards and so if we went again I wouldn't take that much cash at all - maybe a couple of hundred dollars and put the rest on a card that is free to use abroad.

OMGtwins Mon 15-May-17 17:36:32

Went there as a couple a few years ago and ended up spending about a 100 GBP a day (I know cos I wrote it all down), eating out for every meal. We had cheap Tom Horton's for breakfast, a sandwich lunch and hot food for our evening meal with one drink each. We also paid for entry to attractions out of that money. So I reckon you might spend double what you've estimated unless you economise on what we did.

OMGtwins Mon 15-May-17 17:38:13

Which is entirely possible as you're staying with friends and we were in hotels. 😊

mumtomaxwell Mon 15-May-17 18:14:46

We've now got about £2000 saved and I think we'll be okay - not going til July so can prob put aside a few hundred more. We certainly won't be eating out every day so it'll just be days out.

Out of that money we also need to hire a car for a few days but if it comes to it we'll put that on a credit card!

OMGtwins Mon 15-May-17 18:35:53

Yeah I reckon it's doable for sure. If we went again with our littles we'd airbnb it and eat out at lunch but not for breakfast or tea, and I think we'd be fine on the same sort of budget as you smile

OMGtwins Mon 15-May-17 18:38:21

We went for a meal at the CN Tower just after sunset and it was amazing (thigh prob adults only), and Niagara is only an hour away too. Ooh is there ice hockey on whilst you're there? Loved Canada smile (can you tell!)

mumtomaxwell Mon 15-May-17 21:38:36

Ha ha! Yes I can tell OMG!

We're seeing a Blue Jays game because my friend is a huge fan, and have an overnight Niagara trip planned. Booked a hotel on the American side because I couldn't take the kids that close to the border and not cross it. I went to Toronto and Niagara in 1996 as part of a much bigger trip and only stayed a day or 2 so very excited to go back and see it properly. Also going to Muskoka for 3 nights so we can explore the lakes (and give our friends a break from a houseful of guests!). It's our kids' first time abroad too so will be a huge adventure for them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now