Talk

Advanced search

Camp America or similar

(7 Posts)
Igglepiggleisblue Sun 26-Mar-17 11:45:20

Hi my daughter is really keen on doing a camp America this summer. However, we are overwhelmed by the number of different options and companies offering this. Does anyone have an tips on where to start or any recommendations on good companies. She isn't very confident socially and would like to be able to meet people in this country first and be able to fly out with them. Can this happen? Thank you

BackforGood Mon 27-Mar-17 00:02:08

Don't you have to apply in the Autumn (as in, last Autumn) for this Summer?
Surely they will have all their staff sorted for this season?

5foot5 Mon 27-Mar-17 00:03:03

Could you clarify whether your daughter wants to do this as a child "camper" or a young adult doing this as a summer job?

If the latter then I know a young woman, recent graduate, who has just been taken on for this summer. It might be that your daughter is already too late for this summer. The girl I know went to a recruiting fair in London a few weeks ago. Apparently having something you can present as a special skill, eg horse riding, is an advantage and might get you a fast pass in. Otherwise you queue up and hope to be seen and taken on.

BrieAndChilli Mon 27-Mar-17 00:07:28

Does it have to be America ? How about PGL or acorn adventure? They have camps in France/Spain/Italy. I imagine America will have visas etc that need sorting which might take too long now

mummymeister Mon 27-Mar-17 11:37:27

if she wants to work in a camp then she is too late to apply for this summer as they get everything in place the year before. if she wants to consider it for the future then Camp matoaka is one I can recommend.

if its activities for her then there is PGL which offers very good watersports in france option.

her only chance of working in the usa now would be as an au pair but even then 3 months to get this sorted is extremely tight.

juneau Mon 27-Mar-17 11:39:42

I did Work America with BUNAC years ago - brilliant experience! But I did it with a friend. I wouldn't have wanted to do the whole summer camp thing - being stuck in the woods with hundreds of kids for the summer sounded a bit like my idea of hell tbh, but with Work America you get to live/work wherever you like. However, you need to apply by about Dec of the previous year, I think.

plumstone Mon 27-Mar-17 11:47:21

Oh I did this many moons ago - went on a registration day in Easter holidays and flew out in the June - met lots of people at the airport who were at "my"camp and then we all did our own thing after.

12 weeks no electricity, only one mirror - (amazing how fas you forget what you look like!) and living in a sleeping bag under campus in 35 degree heat - loved it, bloody hard and my tan was amazing - I was a life guard and so neurotic about sun burn covered myself in SPF 50 - no clear spray in those days looked like I was covered in emulsion paint. Best advice would be phone them - you may get lucky and they have spaces, if not sign up for next year - awesome experience!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now