Talk

Advanced search

Zika & pregnancy planing

(7 Posts)
Daydreamer3 Fri 24-Mar-17 08:06:01

Hi,

My dh to be & I will be heading off on our honeymoon towards the end of the year to Maldives.

We're aware zika has been reported there although low numbers and have read recommendations for waiting 6 months before trying to get pregnant. Being the worrier I am I know post this point I will still worry so wondering if anyone knows if your doctor can test for zika if you request or if you can pay to have this done somewhere? Has anyone else been in this situation? Was hoping to start talking folic acid 5 months post travel and then look to start trying 6 months post.

mummymeister Fri 24-Mar-17 11:02:46

The only safe way to avoid Zika is to avoid areas where it has been reported. the low numbers is irrelevant really as that is the number of reported cases not actual which are often very different.

If you are that much of a worrier then book somewhere else that is Zika free. trying to avoid being bitten is impossible and you will not have a relaxing holiday or time at home when you get back worrying about it.

seriously, just change the destination.

FlipperSkipper Fri 24-Mar-17 11:05:14

You can be tested privately for zika, I think medichecks offer it.

mummymeister Fri 24-Mar-17 14:55:14

flipper - I was thinking more of the worry element than the getting tested. Its such an easy thing to avoid and its only a holiday.

Daydreamer3 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:15:36

Thanks @FlipperSkipper that's really helpful!

Daydreamer3 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:17:36

@mummymeister we have considered changing the destination and may look to do this but considering a lot of destinations are affected and its is our honeymoon which we have spent a long time Saving for I wanted to know firstly if anyone else had been in a similar position and if they had got tested etc.

mummymeister Sun 26-Mar-17 17:35:49

completely understand that Daydreamer3. if you hadn't said you were a worrier then obviously I would be saying go and then get tested. but honestly, your honeymoon should be the most relaxing holiday - you need it after a wedding imo - and as it is expensive it seems a lot to waste. there are hundreds of non zika destinations. you could start by looking at the list of countries to avoid and work backwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now