Talk

Advanced search

Keeping 1 year old safe around water

(8 Posts)
totalturmoil Thu 23-Mar-17 08:59:41

My daughter has JUST taken ber first step, and is a damn fast crawler.
We are about to go to Sri Lanka where the whole villa is based around the pool. No fences and so on.
Now of course we will be watching her with beady hawk eyes, but I'd like to arm her somehow with an extra layer of protection. I thought of having her always in a costume with those floaty things inserted, but in water they're a bit shit as your face falls forward. Any other ideas? Shall I have her always in arm bands??

reallyanotherone Thu 23-Mar-17 09:05:29

Supervision, supervision, supervision.

Make her aware as you can that she doesn't go near the pool without an adult.

I would say no to arm bands or other worn flotation device. kids in armbands don't make the connection that the armbands make them float in water, and have often spent all day jumping in and out happily with no adult close. I have fished too many kids out that see the pool and jump in, no armbands, parent with back turned for a split second, and sink like a stone.

Get a noodle and teach her how to hold on. Also teach her how to float with no aids, on her back.

mummymeister Thu 23-Mar-17 09:30:01

I would put her in one of those floatation jacket things tbh because you honestly cannot supervise all the time and it only takes a moment. you cant easily teach a one year old to keep away from the water because they dash off and forget.

is there an option to take a villa on the same complex where the pool is protected?

tbh I would not be able to relax in this situation so would have to put my child in the floaty jacket just for a bit of peace of mind.

specialsubject Thu 23-Mar-17 10:42:26

Unless you put her in a full life jacket she will float the way she falls. And a full life jacket, or indeed anything else , will be far too hot.

Supervision - no phone, no book, watching unless child asleep. Or a playpen.

mummymeister Thu 23-Mar-17 12:16:25

specialsubject - do you think its realistic to supervise like this?

I was suggesting that the OP did both things both the supervision and a floaty device.

other suggestions could be those leash things that go on their wrists so you always know where the child is. seems a bit like a pet but might be worth looking in to.

I am sure I read a thread on here somewhere a while ago where there was a sort of alarm you clipped on which went off when wet.

personally, I would be looking to move villa but that's just me. Its so easy to get distracted.

does the villa have a playpen you could borrow?

in the usa the door out of our villas was alarmed so that if anyone went to the pool the alarm went off.

specialsubject Thu 23-Mar-17 18:29:23

It has to be realistic. Or use a playpen.

Relaxing holidays round pools and small children are a contradiction.

Pool alarm might be too late.

mummymeister Fri 24-Mar-17 11:04:51

agree special. this is why I suggested trying to move villa if possible. I struggle when people plan to do or think of doing something on holiday that they would never do at home. at least with a proper life jacket however uncomfortable it was there would be some peace of mind.

notanothernamechangebabes Fri 24-Mar-17 14:38:38

We live on a boat. DS not yet at this stage, (only 6 months) but we've already decided on the rules for when we're outside/ boating etc-

One of us is in charge of the baby and nothing else. We can swap over, but whoever is looking after the baby is doing that, and that only.

Should the worst happen and he ends up
In the water somehow (he'll be in a life jacket but that isn't relevant for you), we've already decided that I will go in after DS, while DP shuts down the boat and prepares to take DS on board/ onto the canal side and if necessary start first aid.

I'd suggest you and your DP get a playpen, and come to an agreement on 1 to 1 supervision for your DD when she's not in it, and how you'll divvy it up. It's the only way you'll be able to relax, I imagine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now