Advanced search

Passport in maiden name - how do I renew kids?

(25 Posts)
teacake89 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:55:29

Hi, any help is appeciated here! I have a holiday booked for the end of may for hubby, me and our two kids. I have booked my ticket in my maiden name, as I have a good few years left on my passport. Problem is, tonight I was renewing the kids passports and the form had me stumped. It was asking for my name and surname - do I write my maiden name (the one my current passport is in) or do I tell them my married name? Surely it would not be legal if I signed the passport with my maiden name? Any advice welcome! I'm considering calling the passport office tomorrow. I just don't want them to make my passport invalid when I tell them I am married due to the ticket being booked in my maiden name.

allegretto Wed 22-Mar-17 20:57:23

Have you changed your name anywhere? If not, your maiden name IS your name.

Snap8TheCat Wed 22-Mar-17 20:58:41

Are you actually using your husband's surname then? or choosing to keep your own?

What name is on your children's BCs? Were you married when they were born? Have you re-registered their births?

teacake89 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:05:43

I have been using my husband's name since we married - my bank account etc has all been changed to his name. The kids were born before we were married so their bcs have my maiden name.

teacake89 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:07:05

I haven't reregistered their births and my husband is also named as the father on their birth certificates

3littlemonkeys82 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:07:18

Had the opposite issue. Passport in married name, but in process of getting divorced, birth certificate of child in maiden name (which I'd reverted to using)

Anyway.... there is a section for additional information. Wrote in there that I had included a letter about mothers surname. Letter advised situation that had reverted to using maiden name but passport (no blah blah) was still in married name. Included some evidence (marriage certificate/own birth certificate/bill)

Passport for child was back in 2 weeks no problems at all.

1wokeuplikethis Wed 22-Mar-17 21:07:19

You put your current married name and put in the additional info box or on a separate piece of paper that you have married/changed name since your passport was issued. Although, I think you will need to apply for a new passport too for 'changes' to change your name.

I've just had to do the same applying for my kids' passport and my own, but my maiden name passport had expired anyway.

It's not clear is it! My advice; ignore my advice and ring the post office tomorrow. Also worth paying a bit more for check & send. Bloody minefield.

Pestilentialone Wed 22-Mar-17 21:09:27

Get DH to do the forms?

3littlemonkeys82 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:10:49

Also I'd say sign the application using same name/signature as your passport.

Buttercupsandaisies Wed 22-Mar-17 21:12:52

I've had the exact issue

You complete in maiden name- you must do this as that's you're passport - also dog your maiden name

Then enclose marriage cert, DH passport and declare in notes.

I travelled in maiden name for years so had to renew both kids! It's a big pain to be honest!

teacake89 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:13:16

Thanks, it's def as clear as mud! Think my best option will be to call them tomorrow and explain the situation. I read online that apparently it is legal to use your passport with your maiden name until it expires, but who knows? Will be using the check and send for peace of mind. I'm just stressing incase there is a big hold up and we miss the holiday.

Buttercupsandaisies Wed 22-Mar-17 21:13:34

Dog - sign!!!

HapShawl Wed 22-Mar-17 21:15:58

You do know it's not illegal in any way to use both names interchangeably don't you?

teacake89 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:17:40

Did the passport office tell you to do that Buttercup? I would be a bit worried sending DHs passport off although I suppose they send it back with the new passports?
unfortunately I can't get DH to sign forms as ds bc is missing. sad

Buttercupsandaisies Wed 22-Mar-17 21:21:01

They did but it's been a year or two so I'd still check but I defo sent DHs twice. They return recorded so don't worry about that

Why do you need bc if it's a renewal?

Ta1kinPeace Wed 22-Mar-17 21:21:28

My passport is in my maiden name
Many of my records are in my married name
I just fill everything out with "also known as"
or get DH to sign such forms

teacake89 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:26:02

If I were to get DH to sign I thought I would need to send bc to prove his parental responsibilty? I may also need to order a new marriage cert to send in - my current one has been torn and taped back together.

Fatfingeredtrade Wed 22-Mar-17 21:31:12

I did this a couple of months ago for my DD. I put my name as printed in my passport and sent our marriage certificate with the forms.

Doje Wed 22-Mar-17 21:32:24

I filled in the doc using my married name, as that is the name on DS's birth certificate, and enclosed my marriage certificate and a cover letter as an explanation.

I will say, they are fussy about marriage certs - I initially enclosed a solicitor certified copy but they didn't accept that, they needed an original.

Buttercupsandaisies Wed 22-Mar-17 21:36:39

But if the kids already have a passport, (you said renewal?) isn't your DH listed as the father there? Surely he can just complete the form?

UnmentionedElephantDildo Wed 22-Mar-17 21:41:02

It's a total PITA to have two names concurrently.

So pick the one you want to be, long term and bring your passport into lube with that.

There is no difficulty whatsoever in applying for or renewing DC passports when their surname differs from yours.

Just fill in the parent 1 and parent 2 bits of the form (exactly aas you did last time) parent 1 signs the form as applicant. There is no requirement or expectation for a person to change their name in matrimony, and you haven't reallly done so (as passport, which is a pretty important ID document) remains in your lifelong name.

LooksBetterWithAFilter Wed 22-Mar-17 21:47:04

I applied for the dc first passport 3 years ago and at the time was using married and maiden names interchangeably I just put in marriage certificate and signed in married name although passport at the time was in maiden name. Nobody queried it all 3 passports back in a week.
I'm not sure how you think it'd be illegal to sign in either name. I used both and had I'd for each name for years. It's only this year I've gone over to one name for a variety of reasons. You are not attempting to commit fraud so you are fine.

Ta1kinPeace Wed 22-Mar-17 21:55:20

I never sent my marriage cert for any of my kids passport appns

teacake89 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:56:12

Buttercup I never actually considered that but I suppose you are right! Going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Fingers crossed it all turns out alright. Will also nip into city hall and order a new marriage cert to be on the safe side.

ICantDoThisAgain Thu 23-Mar-17 09:24:17

I've just done this as passport still in my maiden name - I didn't even mention it to be honest, just put my maiden name and passport details in and DH's passport details in (pretty sure you don't need to include the actual passport as they can check electronically). DD's back in 2 weeks. Didn't include marriage certificate as it wasn't necessary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: