Talk

Advanced search

Can I travel to Rome with less than six months left on my passport?

(6 Posts)
hippyhippyshake Tue 21-Mar-17 20:05:32

I am in the process of booking an Easter break to Rome and checked my passport only to find it expires on 11/7/17. Looking at the passport website it says six months remaining is normally expected when travelling but to check individual countries. I couldn't actually find the information I was looking for which was that maybe EC countries had a 3 month limit? (Straw clutching here).

I can't get an appointment for a 1 week fast track application until 28/3 which means I wouldn't get the passport until the day I was hoping to travel and the 1 day turnaround just seems a bit expensive but will be my only option if the six month rule applies. Can anyone confirm this please?

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 21-Mar-17 21:36:37

From the Foreign Office travel site on Italy:-

"Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this".

hippyhippyshake Tue 21-Mar-17 21:52:05

That's good news! I didn't think of the Foreign Office, it didn't come up on the first few hits when I did a search. Thank you.

specialsubject Tue 21-Mar-17 22:11:44

Eu countries - passport needs to be valid for duration of stay, no more, for British citizens.

This information expires in 2 years !

Greycat11 Wed 26-Apr-17 06:46:18

I had this when I went to Greece, I was worried about it before the hokiday so got an email from the Greek embassy confirming was fine.
Didn't have to show that print out though as no one mentioned it at all.

Greycat11 Wed 26-Apr-17 06:47:52

Oops just realised you're holiday was at Easter, hope you had a good time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now