We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Youngest baby you've taken camping?

(19 Posts)
redjumper Mon 20-Mar-17 19:56:12

I'm due my third baby soon, we'll have 3 children aged 4, 2 and the newborn.
We love camping, we have our own campervan and go most weekends through spring, summer and autumn.
I've had a horrendous pregnancy with various illnesses which has meant no travelling anywhere (or doing anything fun at all) for 9 months and now I'm desperate to get planning for a summer of camping and holidays.
What's the youngest baby you've taken camping? How did it go? Do you have any tips? We went at 8 weeks last time and it was fine. That was in a tent so maybe it'll be earlier in our campervan which has a kitchen and a heater and a proper bed so should be easier.

GreenPeppers Mon 20-Mar-17 19:59:32

We went when dc2 was about 9 months. It was a very bad idea grin
Dc2 just didn't cope at all with the noise and of the tent (very gentle) and woke up every 1.5h. I didn't sleep at all for the whole night...

BUT dc2 was a VERY light sleeper. We never managed to go camping until he was about 4yo.
Dc1 on the other side would have been so so easy! Because he would fall asleep anywhere. Noise, no noise, different place, nothing has ever phased him!

frazzled3ds Mon 20-Mar-17 20:05:28

Middle DS was about 6 months old when I first took him camping, with his (then) 20 month old brother - this was a county wide Scout camp with around 300 people camping......

It was fine! The weather was a bit lousy at times but we survived, and I did have plenty of willing volunteers to help out with stuff!

BellMcEnd Mon 20-Mar-17 20:05:35

We took DC1 when he was 8 months, DC2 at 10 months and DC3 at 2 years.

All were fine. We camped in a tent and the one thing I'd say is don't underestimate how cold it can get at night for babies. That said, you're in a van and you're experienced campers.

My babies slept fine but were awake v early! We stayed on very family - orientated sites in Sussex, the New Forest and the IoW.

Congratulations, by the way! If it's any consolation, my 3rd pregnancy was a sodding nightmare but ended in a super easy birth smile

redjumper Mon 20-Mar-17 20:08:55

BellMcEnd that is very reassuring! Here's to an easy birth!grin

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 20-Mar-17 20:11:02

Drove to France with 6dc and a baby (6mo). He couldn't yet crawl so was perfect!! Slept all night in a travel cot in the tent awning with a fly net over the top!!

TheOriginalAngel Mon 20-Mar-17 20:12:02

7 weeks, and it would have been sooner but I had a section. DD2 was a dream baby though. DS is not, and we have not been camping since he was born 4 years ago. He puked constantly and still doesn't sleep.

Nodney Mon 20-Mar-17 20:12:45

I went touring caravanning to Torquay with DS2 when he was three months. Was fab!

Oblomov17 Mon 20-Mar-17 20:14:38

Took ds2, in a caravan, when he was 6 months old and still breastfeeding. No problems at all.

PerryCoxHair Mon 20-Mar-17 20:14:43

9 weeks old. Was a breeze BUT I recovered very quickly from the birth and dc4 was an easy baby. Went when dc2 was 11 weeks. Dc3 was a nightmare until 2 years old so didn't even try and attempt it.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 20-Mar-17 20:15:13

6 weeks, but my friend beat me by coming with a 3 week old, AND she had a c section.

Philoslothy Mon 20-Mar-17 20:15:41

Few weeks old. I thought we would start as we meant to go on

MrsPnut Mon 20-Mar-17 20:25:46

Dd2 was 3 weeks old, slept brilliantly and was breastfed. We did only do one night and we were with friends but it was much easier than our trip with her at 9 months when she was crawling. We used a dog spike, a line and reins for that trip so she could do a circle.

redjumper Mon 20-Mar-17 20:26:18

Looks like a 3 week old is the winner so far and it quite inspires me. I guess it's more like caravanning than tent camping really.
God I hope we don't get out off for 2 years!!! It would make our campervan a huge waste of money shock

grannycake Mon 20-Mar-17 20:27:37

Ds1 was 15 weeks old when we went. Was great

Philoslothy Mon 20-Mar-17 20:34:14

I suspect if they are breastfed and it isn't that cold it isn't that hard.

whifflesqueak Mon 20-Mar-17 20:37:15

mine was 6 weeks, but we decided to upgrade to a yurt with a wood burner.

still had a lot of concerned strangers who obviously though we were mad.

whifflesqueak Mon 20-Mar-17 20:38:06

ah yes, breastfeeding massively reduced the amount of faff.

redjumper Mon 20-Mar-17 20:44:33

Hahahaha MrsPNut I love the dog lead idea!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now