Talk

Advanced search

greek island or sardinia for one yr and 4 yr old

(9 Posts)
EastyC Sun 19-Mar-17 22:14:44

Im hoping to spend one week somewhere warm/nice quiet beach/decent grub with my family including 1 and 4 yr old before the eldest starts school. Any suggestions? Nothing grand just pretty and simple,,,,,a fishing village? We are going in May (and hopefully not hours of travel/transfers)

Whydoikeepdoingthis Mon 20-Mar-17 15:57:47

No idea but also have 1 year old and 4 year old and looking for similar so watching out!

Ds is 5 and we've been to Greece in May every year since he was born. Temperatures are perfect, sunny and hot without being unbearable. The resorts have enough people around to seem in season but not so busy that you're struggling for a table in a restaurant. You'll get the best weather in Crete or Rhodes at that time if year.

Haven't been to Sardinia in May but would expect a similar level of business tbh.

redjumper Mon 20-Mar-17 20:01:10

I've been to Greece (paxos and zante) twice with a baby and toddler and Sardinia once with just one baby. Both were fantastic. I preferred Sardinia though, I just found it more beautiful and more interesting and less resort-like. Both brilliant for children - Italians and Greeks equally dote on babies and it's quite a joy.
May is perfect, it gets too hot later.

EastyC Mon 20-Mar-17 20:24:52

----thanks. Can you name any specific locations/beaches red jumper and English girl please?

redjumper Mon 20-Mar-17 20:38:42

Sardinia - alghero is a beautiful ancient city with lots to do, great food etc.
Castelsardo is also a very beautiful coastal town. We stayed in apartments in those places. I really can't remember specific beaches and we travelled around a lot.

Paxos - it's all gorgeous but the transfer is long and by boat so maybe not too easy with kids. Anyway - Lakka, Longos, Gaios really anywhere on the island. Any of the villas with Ionian Island Holidays. You need a hire car for sure.

In Rhodes I'd look at somewhere like Pefkos or Larson, small resorts with plenty of bars and restaurants and close enough to Lindos if you want to visit somewhere a bit more touristy but still beautiful.

I like west Crete so fly into Chania, I liked Marlene/Gerani area but I'd avoid Platanias. The beach is a bit pebbly in that area but it's lovely, small villages with proper old fashioned tavernas, the off tourist shop etc. but great public transport to Chania which is gorgeous if you want a day out.

Lardos not Larson!

ellaki Mon 20-Mar-17 22:15:53

Syros in Greece is a beautiful and very child friendly island. It is one of the closest to Athens. Not sure the airport serves international flights though so you would have to connect in Athens and take a local flight there, or catch a ferry there. I think it is worth it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now