Talk

Advanced search

Orlando with a 2 year old and 10 month old

(24 Posts)
KLG3101 Sat 18-Mar-17 07:35:02

Would you? We wouldn't be staying onsite at disney but rather a cheaper hotel as kids won't know at that age. It's my 30th and I want a special birthday holiday. Wouldn't bother with other parks other than Disney.

If no - any recommendations? Going on trip would be my DH and 2 children. Must be warm!

mrslol Sat 18-Mar-17 09:17:53

I would! As long as you accept that you might not get to see everything this trip and you let the kids dictate the pace you'll have a fab time.

We took our wee girl at 7 months and we all had a great time. She obviously doesn't remember it but we all love watching the videos and photos of her. We also took her to the one in Paris when she was 2 and she loved it! She still talks about it all the time.

Have you been before? I would get on the Dibb if you haven't as there is loads of information about taking babies! We're hoping to go next year with a baby and a three year old!

IamRonnieBiggs Sat 18-Mar-17 09:26:38

If you can afford it I would recommend staying on site - gives you lots of flexibility and reduces traveling to and from park a lot.

NinjaPosse Sat 18-Mar-17 09:27:38

I would wait until your children are a bit older then they'll appreciate it more.

Unihorn Sat 18-Mar-17 09:36:54

I would! We're planning on taking ours when she's 2 as under 3s are free. And you can use baby swap to attack most rides. I agree that you'd be better off staying on site though as it makes transport easier at the end of the night and you could get the dining plan, which I always feels helps take away budget worries.

Try reading some trip reports online of people who've taken children that age to give you an idea.

KLG3101 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:37:25

Funnily enough we are going to Disney Paris in 3 weeks time!! It's sort of a test ahead of Orlando possibly.

The idea of staying offsite is because we don't plan on being at Disney every day. We are quite happy to have a few ate relaxing by the pool, shopping, malls, etc etc.....

Has anyone got any lake buena vista hotel recommendations? We are looking at the Wyndham Grand or the Disney spring one.

KLG3101 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:38:24

Thank you! I wasn't sure if the dine plans would work out more expensive if we didn't plan on doing Disney each day.

mrslol Sat 18-Mar-17 09:49:29

I think Paris will be a great trial as it's so much smaller and more manageable.

Although there are loads of good reasons to stay on site we usually stay off site at condo style hotels as we prefer having breakfast in the room and somewhere to sit in the evenings. Haven't stayed at either of those hotels but they look lovely.

Are you thinking about driving over there? If not then I think Disney Springs would be a great area to stay.

KLG3101 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:53:07

I really appreciate your message, thank you.

That's exactly our plan. Hopefulky a nice balcony to relax on some nights when the kids go to bed.

As a kid we always had a car so I just presumed we would as a family but if transport links are good at hotel I dot know if we would. It would make it easier for the malls but happy to not drive in evenings we so we can enjoy a wine! (Don't judge us!! ;-) )

mrslol Sat 18-Mar-17 10:03:24

No worries! Only thing better than getting to plan your own holiday to Orlando is helping plan someone else's. wink

Yup! Love the idea of a balcony and wine in the warm evenings. It's your holiday too after all!

We have always driven just because we are too lazy and impatient to wait on transport but equally we've never stayed as close as Disney Springs so it might not be bad at all. One thing to think about might be car seats, we brought our maxi cosi last time but not sure what we'd do for the older one this time.

Unihorn Sat 18-Mar-17 10:19:57

If you get quick service dining you get two snacks and two counter service meals. Which is more practical than the regular dining plan with sit down meals that usually require reservations up to 6 months in advance.

We use buses and Uber to go offsite around two or three days out of 14 but you could still rent a car onsite even just for a few days.

We use the dining plan at the hotel for breakfast and dinner then save any unused credits from one day for extra meals on another day.

I couldn't imagine staying offsite though so I am definitely biased! I've stayed at two deluxe, two moderate and two value resorts and would definitely just book the value as uoure hardly in the room. No balconies though!

KLG3101 Sat 18-Mar-17 15:10:52

Thank you for your helpful comments. The dine plan sounds like it works well for breakfast and dinner. My plan is to try and upgrade our room to bed and breakfast so that is included when we book our hotel.

Re the car seats this did cross my mind. We hired one in Tenerife last year as travel company offered this. I'll look into it.

Where did you purchase Disney tickets from? I read a good blog recently stating are some companies who offer day passes so we could get 10 days for price of 9 which would be great as don't plan on going 14 days.

2014newme Sat 18-Mar-17 16:34:54

No I wouldn't with kids that age, and I do like ve Disneyworld. But as they won't get much out of it and would go somewhere more grown up and relaxing and without the queuing etc

Unihorn Sat 18-Mar-17 18:18:21

We have used Undercover Tourist, Attraction Tickets Direct or American Attractions.

Iamastonished Sun 19-Mar-17 23:16:32

I wouldn't with children that age either. You and your husband will forever be taking it in turns to look after the children while the other one goes on a ride, and there will be a lot of waiting about.

I can't see that the children will get much out of it TBH because they won't be able to go on many rides.

Someone22 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:19:32

I definitely wouldn't take such young children. We've been twice and my kids loved it but they were old enough to appreciate it all.

blue25 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:34:14

No, I would choose a more relaxing holiday. Sounds stressful with 2 so young. You won't be able to all enjoy the rides together so I don't really see the point.

KLG3101 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:05:24

Thank you everyone. We will see how we get on at Disneyland Paris in a couple of weeks and take it from there.

Where would you go on a special holiday? I can't see anything being relaxing tbh with 2 young kids!!

mouldycheesefan Mon 20-Mar-17 09:10:09

Somewhere with fantastic childcare so I got a break. Lots of hotels have nannies.
Try neilsons
Mark Warner
Scott Dunn
Simpsons

TheLesserWeevil Mon 20-Mar-17 09:12:39

If you don't mind sticking to Europe www.masdejouas.com or www.caseriodelmirador.com are about as relaxing as it gets with children that age - both absolutely lovely!

bakingaddict Mon 20-Mar-17 09:21:24

What about Dubai....there are lots of water parks and a new Legoland

Unihorn Mon 20-Mar-17 10:49:48

FWIW each park only has about 3 or 4 rides with height restrictions as it was built to be a family resort so you wouldn't have to trade off children too often. We just used baby swap for the mountains.

My DSD was 2 when we went to Paris but potty training so it ended up being more stressful than when we took her to Florida a year later!

If you do decide to go ahead this book is great:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I8S2EHW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

It all depends what you want from a holiday to be fair. We're off on a sun holiday next month but I much prefer active holidays with plenty to do and see.

Someone22 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:00:21

I'd second a Neilson holiday.

BackforGood Mon 20-Mar-17 15:07:34

No. I wouldn't want a flight that long with two such little children, to begin with.
If Disney is likely to be a 'one off' sort of trip, then do it when they are old enough to appreciate it, and remember it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now