Talk

Advanced search

Turkey with kids

(12 Posts)
Yffy673 Thu 16-Mar-17 17:44:42

My husband and I are looking to go on holiday with our 2 year old DS and 6 month old DD. We were thinking of going turkey somewhere like Antalya. Has anyone been with kids? We were kind of nervous because of the things that have happened in turkey but we were looking for advice from people who have been with kids. Alternatively we are open to any suggestions to places to travel with the kids, we don't mind going overseas.

Rachel6209 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:51:04

Hello, we take our kids to Turkey every year and they love it. We feel as safe walking around there as we would in our home town, the holiday resorts are far from the trouble. Lovely country and lovely people, would definitely recommend. 😀

BifsWif Thu 16-Mar-17 19:59:01

We used to go to Antalya every year with our kids, but I couldn't take them now. It's not worth the risk in my opinion, however small it may be. I wouldn't travel there now even if it was 'safe' due to the political unrest anyway.

Greece is really lovely, Cyprus, Portugal....there are loads of beautiful places to take your children.

bobsleighteam Thu 16-Mar-17 19:59:24

I went to antalya last year with my two children. Airport security was very strict and I felt completely safe. Would I go again? Probably not, but only because the transfer was very long.
This year we are going to the canaries for aprox same price.

Yffy673 Fri 17-Mar-17 15:10:30

Bump

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 17-Mar-17 17:44:32

Are you dead set on Antalya? Personally I would look at somewhere like Dalyan - very short transfer from Dalaman airport, not a big bustling resort, or the Fethiye area. Hisaranou has the advantage of being up above sea level and is therefore marginally cooler in the evening - if you go down to Olu Deniz or Fethiye in the evening you notice the temperature change as you drive back up the mountain.

Personally I would be more worried about the heat than anything else (political or otherwise). It will be hot, hot, hot in Antalya in August - can get up to 40 as it's quite far south. It's mostly around 34 or so elsewhere usually by then. If you don't have to go in August it is absolutely beautiful in September. The sea is very warm then and it will be both quieter and cheaper.

My DP is Turkish so my ds has been going since he was 4 months old (now 14) and he loves it. We are off to Dalyan/Patara in August but then we are tied to school holidays and don't have a choice.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 18-Mar-17 12:43:29

My husband is Turkish too so we spend a lot of time in Turkey. we usually go to Bodrum and it always feels very safe to me. I would have no hesitation going any time. My husband comes from the East of Turkey and I wouldn't go there at the moment but the west, where all the tourist resorts is fine.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 18-Mar-17 12:44:09

I should add we have two children who have been going since they were babies and are now 12 and 10 smile

Yffy673 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:47:19

Thanks sootica ...

I would be going before the summer holiday rush. We are confused whether to stay in and around Europe or to venture out a bit

Yffy673 Wed 05-Apr-17 23:30:32

Bump

ThereIsIron Wed 05-Apr-17 23:46:43

Went to the Oludeniz area last year. Had a fab time and wouldn't hesitate to go again. Only annoying thing now is not having tablets on the flight home.

Yffy673 Sat 08-Apr-17 01:02:00

Any hotel suggestions? Anywhere that is particularly good for toddlers and has good food?

I love Turkish food and I don't want to end up staying at a hotel that serves chips and pizza everyday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now