Talk

Advanced search

Does flying get easier or harder as children get older?

(11 Posts)
redjumper Thu 16-Mar-17 16:07:03

This may sound like a daft question as I'd assume it does get easier but then I found flying with a newborn the easiest of all so I may be wrong!
We have 3 young children aged 4, 2 and 0 and the thought of flying now is a bit overwhelming. I just imagine it and think I can't be bothered. (Its hard enough to get them in and out of the car or even the house at the moment!). We're generally quite easy going and fuss free, we pack light, use a sling and that kind of thing but it's still a hassle travelling for 9 hours or whatever it is by the time you've driven to the airport, checked in etc.
Will it always be this way? Is it hard because I have 3 children or is it because they are young (hope so!). Let's say when they are 9, 7 and 5 will it be easier or harder?
TIA wise mummies.

NotAPuffin Thu 16-Mar-17 16:10:52

Easier every year! Ours are 6 and 5. We're flying with them next week and I have no qualms about it whatsoever. They can travel light, carry their own bags, don't need carrying or buggies, have a little bit of patience, you can have an entertaining conversation with them while you wait for things and they'll have tablets and headphones on the plane so there won't be a peep out of them.

NotAPuffin Thu 16-Mar-17 16:11:05

Easier every year! Ours are 6 and 5. We're flying with them next week and I have no qualms about it whatsoever. They can travel light, carry their own bags, don't need carrying or buggies, have a little bit of patience, you can have an entertaining conversation with them while you wait for things and they'll have tablets and headphones on the plane so there won't be a peep out of them.

xyzandabc Thu 16-Mar-17 16:18:13

Easier, much easier. We don't fly much but did a 10 hour flight when ours were 5, 3 and 5 months, same flight again at 6, 4 and 12 months then again at 9, 7 and 4.

At 5 months, he didn't sleep the whole night flight back, we took it in turns to pace up and down with him the whole night. At 12 months he had just learnt to walk and wanted to walk about the whole time.

By the time youngest was 4, they can all walk, biggest 2 carry their own hand luggage. They all eat regular food so no taking extra stuff for them. They all get their own seats so 5 x baggage allowance. No pushchairs or car seats to take ( we just got cheap/borrowed boosters at the other end). They are all mostly happy sitting in a plane seats and can work the in flight entertainment by themselves. We take their own headphones as airline ones are to big for them. Altogether much more civilised experience than when they were younger!

redjumper Thu 16-Mar-17 16:39:38

Thank God for that! I can now rest easily and guilt free and leave it a couple of years without feeling I should be taking them on a foreign holiday. I can be safe in the knowledge it will get easier and we will enjoy them together in the future, phew!

Hersetta427 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:31:08

Its pretty easy to be honest. I travel by myself with the kids as their grandmother lives in Spain so we go a few times a year. Mine are 5 and 9 and to be honest its pretty much the same as travelling with other adults as they are pretty independent. they have their own rucksacks with their own books and tablet, plus their own snacks and drinks. so flights are pretty chilled.

WhatHaveIFound Fri 17-Mar-17 11:37:16

Much easier as they get older. I've been flying with my DC since they were both 6 months old and 1-3yrs were the hardest years though they've always been good travellers.

Now they're older they just plug their headphones in and enjoy the movies (long haul) or play on their phones.

To be honest it's easier than travelling with my parents who are worse than a couple of toddlers!

naturalbaby Fri 17-Mar-17 11:43:18

I had 3 under 3's and we had our first family flight when the youngest was 3 - less than 2hrs. We did 6hrs to America when youngest was 5 and they were great - glued to the screens the whole time and just about starting to get bored and restless then it was time to get up and go.

Until then we did uk holidays to centre parts and similar. Everyone was happy.

schoolofconfusion Fri 17-Mar-17 11:45:17

Easy, own seats, own food, can carry own bags, plug into the headphones and tablet.

rookiemere Fri 17-Mar-17 11:56:02

Much easier. We've always flown with DS since he was a baby - but appreciate that as there is only one of him then it makes it a much different proposition.
Since about 4 or so it's actually very easy. From about age 6 he packs his own bag with toys, drawing paper and a device for the journey. For long haul flights he loves the ability to watch the films or play games on the screen (although playing tic tac toe with him for about an hour constantly was a bit of a strain). No problem at all and now he's 10 he's very helpful and will carry the bags and point out which carousel we get our luggage from.

WritingHome Fri 17-Mar-17 14:21:37

Def easier. DD is 11 and we have travelled a lot with her since she was a baby both long and short haul. It helps that she loves traveling and airports etc so no problems there. We did two very long haul trips last year and she was great on both of them. She watches tv or plays with ipod / pad and sleeps. She is not great with airline food so we eat decent meals before departure and she brings a bag with lots of snacks

I honesty don't think you should let the thoughts of flying with kids put you off taking them travelling - the flights are only one very small part of the experience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now