Talk

Advanced search

Toddler bed on plane

(6 Posts)
Oktopuski Wed 15-Mar-17 10:19:46

We fly to Singapore next month with a 4 year old and a 1 year old, it's an overnight flight so hopefully they will sleep. I'm planning on making a bed/taut hammock by attaching a sheet to the tray with ties and pulling it taut under them. Has anyone else tried this? Did it work? I'm guessing airlines allow it as an Australian lady has recently launched a similar product (legs up), this is £70 😮
I can't find anything anywhere of people making their own. I can't be the first to have thought of this,
Thoughts anyone?

habibihabibi Wed 15-Mar-17 17:47:51

First class kids - inflatable . Cheap ,light and works

TheJiminyConjecture Wed 15-Mar-17 17:50:44

Ooh I saw a MNer do exactly that on another thread just before we flew long haul with a 1 year old in February. I lost the thread but hopefully someone will remember it. It was genius

LadyPenelopeCantDance Wed 15-Mar-17 18:01:46

What airline are you flying? Some airlines will provide baby bassinets for the infant to sleep in, including Singapore Airlines. With the infant, you are normally seated at a bulkhead row which won't have a standard tray as there is no seat in front. Worth mentioning too that unless you have paid extra, the one year old will not be allocated a seat and will be expected to sit on your lap.

RedSandYellowSand Wed 15-Mar-17 18:03:01

The instructions are to open tray table, tie 2 corners round the table frame, and close table.
2 hulking nappy pins to secure the mid point of the blanket to the edge of the seat. Rest of blanket under child's bum. Should be achievable with plane blanket, but we have had flease the past few times. I'm not sure if that would hold as well as the woven ones? Sheet sounds like a good call -but probably doesn't need to be full size!!

I have had 2 kids top to tail across 2 seats with the arm rest up.
Does the 1 year old have a seat??

Oktopuski Wed 15-Mar-17 18:34:13

Alas no seat for the one year old😮
Another reason I am hoping to ekke out a bit more space... I have my MIL on the case with a strong cotton sheet. If it doesn't work never mind, we will survive but if it does... hurrah!
As for the bassinet idea, she is 18months, much too big. And the bulkhead seats: you have to pay extra for them which we are not doing! I am anticipating we have three seats... if the plane has specs and they offer us an extra that will be lovely but I am not expecting it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now