Talk

Advanced search

Menorca or Algarve - mid-October

(9 Posts)
MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 15-Mar-17 10:11:05

Just wondering what people would recommend - we're looking at flying 14th October for a week with a 4 year old and a 2 year old.

I had read a lot of good things about Cala'n Bosch, however read some reviews on Tripadvisor saying the resort is pretty much closed down in October. I certainly didn't want it to be hectic but I'd like a few food options/entertainment options.....

Mungobungo Wed 15-Mar-17 10:16:32

I've been to both and menorca was by far my favourite.

Hersetta427 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:26:10

I would choose the Algarve purely because October in Menorca is just not reliable enough weather wise.

BattleaxeGalactica Wed 15-Mar-17 10:44:44

Algarve. We've been to both at that time of year and the Algarve is more reliable weather wise. We had one good hot week in Menorca one year and another a different year that was cold and grey.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 15-Mar-17 11:04:13

Interesting! Thanks for your input. I'm now leaning towards Algarve in October and maybe Menorca for next year's summer holiday in early July.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 15-Mar-17 11:05:28

I guess next question: where in the Algarve/where in Menorca? Are particular resorts better for facilities/ease of access to beach/access to airport?

BattleaxeGalactica Wed 15-Mar-17 19:04:23

We've been all along the Algarve and we haven't found the transfers too bad even to the furthest resorts but there are some that aren't too far at all from the airport. We take private transfers or a speedy shuttle with a maximum 4 stops rather than vast coaches. Well worth the extra ££ in my book.

Trips to the beach may involve quite long treks down from the town and the sea can be quite rough even close to shore. Depends what you want from the resorts but most will have the basic bar/restaurant/shop combo. We usually go AI which is very good value . It may also be worth your while getting a hotel with a good kids club that's definitely going to run while you're there as some of the villages can be quite small.

In Menorca you can get pretty much anywhere quite quickly from the airport because it's not a large island. We've been to S'Algar and Arenal both SC. S'Algar was literally all residential. No shops whatsoever. Not much beach access either. Arenal has a huge beach and more facilities but again it's quite a way down from the main street.

rachyconks Wed 15-Mar-17 19:05:51

Algarve definitely. Menorca will be cooler at that time of year and will be very quiet, with a lot of resorts starting to close down for the winter. Algarve - particularly the bigger resorts - has a tourist industry year round so should still be buzzing.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 12-Apr-17 13:54:41

Thanks for all the replies. That's super helpful. I'm looking at a few different resorts right now in the Algarve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now