Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Greece in August at 33 weeks??

(34 Posts)
turtletum Sat 11-Mar-17 14:48:13

I have a holiday booked in August to Greece. However, I've since become pregnant and wondering whether being in full heat of summer while heavily pregnant will be ok or total nightmare. Would have access to pool/ sea to cool down. I have booked flights with 3 different airlines as going to several islands, plus paid deposits on accommodation. No problem with airlines as they will fly up to 36 weeks. I was wondering whether it is worth the loss in money to change the holiday to earlier in the year or whether it would be ok? Anyone been on holiday that late in such heat and thought it was OK? I'm also nervous in case baby came early, although insurer said I'd be covered.

Babbaganush Sat 11-Mar-17 16:11:27

If you are able to take the holiday earlier in the year I would do that. Chances are you will be very uncomfortable in that heat and on the plane.

Samatamfabahaba Sat 11-Mar-17 16:17:20

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting on a plane for 4-5 hours. However I'd love to get some sun and relaxation and I'm only 28 weeks. If you can put up with the flight then crack on... I'm jealous!

Floralnomad Sat 11-Mar-17 16:20:02

I think it will be unbearable and the planes potentially could be very uncomfortable , I'd change it if possible .

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 11-Mar-17 16:20:35

I drove to Portugal, camping along the way in France and Spain and returned home 3 weeks before dd arrived full term!! Had a lovely brown bump to show for it!! Take your notes and hospital bag just incase and enjoy!!

juneau Sat 11-Mar-17 16:22:28

I wouldn't want to go somewhere so hot at 33 weeks. Greece in August can be absolutely boiling. And when you're pregnant you feel hot all the time anyway - even in winter! I'd go earlier or somewhere cooler.

greenlizard Sat 11-Mar-17 16:23:56

Depends on how you are in the heat normally and how big you are? I was quite sprightly in both my pregnancies and was going strong right up to the end and could have quite easily managed a beach holiday as long as you have air-conditioning for sleeping and pool/shade you will be grand! Sounds heavenly....long siestas on the beach...<wistful sigh>

TisapityshesaGeordie Sat 11-Mar-17 16:35:05

Ooh, you're going to be sooooooooo hot! blush

mummymeister Sat 11-Mar-17 20:01:57

turtle - make sure you have proper holiday insurance now that covers you just in case you need to cancel and if anything happens whilst you are there then you have peace of mind. are you sure airlines will take you at 36 weeks? really, without a note from your midwife that you are fit to fly?

it is going to be beyond hot so take lots of floaty clothes and drink masses on the flight. you might consider DVT stockings as well.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 11-Mar-17 20:13:47

Ooh blimey. Depends how you are in the heat generally like greenlizard says. Interestingly we've been to Greek Islands over the years but tried mainland Greece last year in August. It was much cooler and more pleasant for me. I find the heat of the islands absolutely blistering.

Plus, of course, it depends on how you cope with travelling generally. It's fairly laid back and frantic (at airports) in equal measure!

If I were you I'd try and move the holiday back to early June. I think you'll enjoy it more. 36 weeks is ever so late in my mind. But DS arrived at bang on 37 weeks and I felt like he was just hanging on at that point grin!

turtletum Sat 11-Mar-17 22:56:34

Thanks all. I'm mostly flying with Aegean, who state 36 weeks without a note as ok. I'm inclined to cancel but doubt travel insurance will cover me changing my mind. It'll cost hundreds of pounds in cancelled flights and accommodation. I'm a teacher so can only go in school holidays, so it's really only may half term or August. I'm a experienced traveller, visited greece several times but first pregnancy so no idea how I'll feel at 33 weeks.

Iamastonished Sun 12-Mar-17 00:13:40

"Take your notes and hospital bag just incase and enjoy!!"

If the baby comes early the OP would have to get a passport for the baby before returning home. It isn't just a case of taking hospital notes and a bag.

mummymeister Sun 12-Mar-17 14:00:56

I am genuinely shocked that Aegean say 36 weeks. does that apply to everyone not just those with greek passports? not meaning to doubt you OP but really I would check again as I had never heard of anyone allowing this. Do you already have holiday insurance? could you speak to them and see what they say about a late cancellation? If you booked a package with a travel agent I would similarly be asking their advice. basically, I would be doing whatever I needed to and whatever I could to not take this holiday.

AnyFucker Sun 12-Mar-17 14:04:04

I thought the flying w

mummymeister Sun 12-Mar-17 14:04:41

Just had a look at the form on Aegeans website OP and they are asking you to sign to say no problems and get your gynae/midwife to do the same. In other words they want a fit to fly signed.

some doctors/midwives might have a problem with signing fit to fly when you are this far along so you definitely need to be speaking with them now to make sure that they are happy to do this.

if they wont sign fit to fly at 36 weeks then you can take this info to your insurer and cancel I would have thought.

AnyFucker Sun 12-Mar-17 14:04:50

Sorry

Flying when pregnant requires a doctors letter after 28 weeks, AFAIK

juneau Sun 12-Mar-17 14:41:02

And you won't know whether you're fit to fly at 33 weeks until the week before - no doctor is going to sign a letter now for use in August. Complications can arise at any stage of pregnancy.

If you do decide to go I would do your due diligence about hospitals/medical facilities where you will be staying. Small islands and resort towns may not have a hospital. You need to be prepared, not just with your book of pregnancy notes, but also with regard to what level of care you can expect. Thanks to years of austerity and poor credit many Greek hospitals are in a less than ideal situation at the moment, so which one(s) might you end up in and what state are they in? It's just as well to know this ahead of time and make your decision accordingly.

turtletum Sun 12-Mar-17 17:17:42

Yes I'd look into getting a fit to fly after 28 weeks anyway. I'm currently looking into all options of changing/cancelling. I can't cancel now and claim as doctor might give me fit to fly, which is frustrating, but likely to get my money back via a claim much nearer the time. Basically everyone on here has confirmed what I thought, that to go is not a good idea when 33 weeks. I'm looking to rebook earlier, before 28 weeks.

viques Sun 12-Mar-17 17:28:04

If you are flying out at 33 weeks you will be at or close to 35 weeks flying home. Remember the oxygen level in planes is low, the seats uncomfortable ,holiday flights often subjected to delay, holiday flights filled with seat kicking children , and plane toilets of limited scope! Even allowing for August heat ( which is horrific in Greece) I would not want to risk it even with the best health insurance, including repatriation,special care, extended accommodation and the rest!

BingThing Sun 12-Mar-17 17:34:52

I went to Crete in my first pregnancy at 4 months at the end of July. I found the flight ok but the heat really difficult to cope with and day trips tough going. At 33 weeks i think I'd have just been miserable tbh! The heat in Greece at that time of year would be too much for me so I'd either change location or try to go earlier in pregnancy if possible.

BingThing Sun 12-Mar-17 17:36:59

I meant to say the heat would too much at that stage of pregnancy.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 13-Mar-17 09:00:07

If you do end up going, make sure your travel insurance covers you at that stage of pregnancy and also the baby if it is born while you are on holiday.

There was a story in the news within the last year or so about a baby who was born early and needed special care while the parents were on holiday and their travel insurance didn't cover the baby's hospital bills.

Orangebird69 Mon 13-Mar-17 09:10:52

I was living in KSA up until 36 weeks. 50°+ heat 😮. Not v comfortable outside tbh but ok in the shade or near aircon. The resident pregnant women in the Middle East get along fine, I'm assuming Greek residents manage ok too so don't worry too much! I flew at 36 weeks back to the UK and the flight was fine. Just get an aisle seat. The flight staff are usually very attentive and kind (on BA flights anyway). Go and enjoy!

oldwife Mon 13-Mar-17 09:16:54

I wouldn't fly so far at 33 weeks.

It's a few years ago now- but when I was pregnant with my DS I went to Menorca for a week in September at only 24 weeks. To be honest that was more than enough. I could still get around but it was quite warm enough for me then.. I couldn't have managed anywhere hotter.

Also I did struggle in the seat on the plane. All very ungainly and I couldn't put my tray table down properly.

It's impossible to know now, how you will feel then though - so it's your choice.

Iamastonished Mon 13-Mar-17 09:26:06

Orangebird69 I think you have overlooked the fact that people who live in hot countries are acclimatised to the heat. I don't agree with your advice at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now