Talk

Advanced search

Travel insurance whilst pregnant?

(11 Posts)
NuttyCasey Fri 10-Mar-17 17:37:06

Hi all,

We are going on holiday to Cyprus in May with our 2 year old and am trying to arrange travel insurance! I will be 30 weeks pregnant and am concerned about travel insurance?

Everywhere I look, it's not stated whether or not pregnancy is covered in the insurance or not? So do I just assume it will be fine and get any travel insurance?

Can anyone help please???

Thank you xx

Jayfee Fri 10-Mar-17 17:54:20

dont just assume..you could find that very expensive.

Lunde Fri 10-Mar-17 18:22:11

I would check this out carefully with the company as some companies have really low cut-off dates after which they don't offer cover for pregnancy related problems - some are as early as 26-28 weeks

apotheke Fri 10-Mar-17 18:40:30

Never assume. Lots don't, you need it in writing. And also check the airline's requirements as they vary.

And finally; the thing most people forget - make sure that your baby is covered as another individual under the policy if they are born prematurely.

VintagePerfumista Fri 10-Mar-17 18:45:44

I presume (though probably shouldn't) the "medical expenses" covers having babies/antenatal care if necessary.

Most airlines are fine up to 30 something weeks, but yes, do check, as you are getting near that point when you plan to fly- they may insist you have a GPs letter saying you are fit. I flew when almost 34 weeks and took a GP's letter in case.

rachyconks Fri 10-Mar-17 18:52:25

most Policies cover cancellation in the event of complications arising due to pregnancy (provided you have declared your pregnancy to them at the time of purchase). You will find it more difficult to find a policy that covers premature birth of the baby abroad. This is a high risk for insurers as it is prohibitively expensive and you could be stuck for an indeterminate amount of time. I struggled to find one 4 years ago when I was pregnant. Think I used AXA in the end.

dailystuck71 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:08:38

Has your airline confirmed they will take you? Some have early cut off dates. I am sure Thomas cook is 32 weeks.

Do not assume anything. Phone an insurer and ask the question and declare it.

NuttyCasey Fri 10-Mar-17 19:24:56

Thank you for all your replies! Think I will wait till Monday and phone a couple of insurance companies to get confirmation of what they will definitely cover!

I've spoken to the airline (Thomson) and they said it's absolutely fine, just need to bring along a Letter from doctor/midwife confirming everything is healthy and low risk and when my due date is!

Thanks again!xx

fluffandsnuff Fri 10-Mar-17 19:28:00

I've just booked with insure and go- they don't class pregnancy as an illness but cover pregnancy related stuff if you have a problem. Think you're ok with them so long as you return by 32 weeks

Seahawk80 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:44:13

Definitely check, I knew that my insurance covered pregnancy but when I read the fine print there is no cover once you are due to give birth within 2 months so make sure you will be covered for the full trip.

Janek Sat 11-Mar-17 13:01:03

As pp said, you need insurance against going into premature labour and post natal care for the baby and yourself, which may not be automatically covered on normal travel insurance. When we went away with a pregnant friend a few years ago she was insured by Ravenhall. At the time they were the only people who would insure her. This may have changed in the mean time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now