Talk

Advanced search

Is Sydney really that amazing?

(27 Posts)
Cherryblossom200 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:09:16

Just wondering as I've never been before, people tend to go about how it's like paradise?

Has anyone been and what were your thoughts?

OnyK Fri 10-Mar-17 19:07:42

No, not unless you think big, busy, modern cities are like paradise!

The beaches outside Sydney are lovely, but they're not 'in' the city. Can't say the bridge or opera house wowed me either!

Cherryblossom200 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:14:11

Thanks that's how I imagined it too..

toffeeboffin Fri 10-Mar-17 21:17:16

Well, the ferry to Manly is nice.

Other than that I couldn't get to Melbourne quick enough.

Good Asian food though.

AnyFucker Fri 10-Mar-17 21:19:45

No, not really

SavoyCabbage Fri 10-Mar-17 21:20:45

No, it's soulless.

ExplodedCloud Fri 10-Mar-17 21:24:07

Much preferred Melbourne.

bump6 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:24:13

Toffeeboffin couldn't agree more.
Sydney is ok.. beaches are nice out of city.
Melbourne just has a nicer vibe about it.
Trams, yarra river which is stunning to walk down.
Loved living there.

Cherryblossom200 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:33:07

I've heard very similar things about Sydney, especially it being soulless and lacking in culture.

StarUtopia Fri 10-Mar-17 21:35:01

I remember looking at the bridge and being completely underwhelmed.

I'm from Hull and the Humber Bridge is far superior!!!

The opera house is filthy.

It's alright. Manly is nice and the ferry is cool. But it's really not all that.

OnyK Fri 10-Mar-17 22:11:40

So nice to hear others feel the same as me. It's a long way to go and realise it's not the city you thought it would be.

I liked Manly and loved going to the Manly shops etc; the cliff walk is good via Coogee and Bondi but I much preferred Melbourne.

surreynotsurrey Sun 12-Mar-17 08:02:01

We went 10 years ago and enjoyed doing the bridge climb but we weren't blown away by the city at all.

We much preferred Melbourne - we did have family there so that helped get to know the 'real' side, which we didn't have in Sydney.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 12-Mar-17 09:15:01

I was not overtly enamoured by Sydney for similar reasons and am in no hurry to return there.

WritingHome Sun 12-Mar-17 15:14:50

Wow, I am surprised at these answers! We were there about 9 years ago and loved it. We found it to be quite beautiful and lots and lots of green space for dd who was a toddler then. We also loved the cafes and restaurants. It felt quite clean and design orientated at that time.

We will be returning there later this year and I have to say I am looking forward to seeing it again.

we have also spent time in Brisbane, Hobart, Gold and Sunshine Coast and I liked Sydney the best. Have not been to Melbourne but hope to get there some day.

mtpaektu Sun 12-Mar-17 21:01:22

I'm from NZ. I prefer Melbourne.
Sydney is a stunning city to view with the harbour and ferry trip to the zoo.
Melbourne is a more pleasant city to visit and live in - it's usually near the top of the world's most liveable cities list. I find it less superficial - more of a place to live than a place to work.
If you can then visit both of them.
I find I usually enjoy a city far more when being shown around by people who live there.

MorningHeavyWeight Sun 12-Mar-17 21:22:05

I loved Sydney when I was on holiday there, I found so much to do. It is surprisingly clean for such a large city.

The botanical gardens are beautiful, I had a wonderful day strolling through them and enjoyed a picnic in the grounds.

Going against the grain I thought the Opera House was stunning, I went on a tour of it and found its history interesting, returned for an orchestral show one evening and was blown away.

The bridge is not pretty, but the views from the bridge climb are great, especially when doing the climb at the right time where it gets dark at the top so you see Sydney by night on your way down.

Beaches were pretty, although crowded.

Public transport was clean and reliable.

Sydney is a good base to visit the Blue Mountains from by train and to take ferries to Manly.

I visited museums, Sydney tower, the Sealife centre, the attractions around Darling Harbour.

I found many decent restaurants for evening meals and enjoyed the nightlife, The Ivy was a good club. The food I had in China Town was delicious.

The shopping centres are impersonal but interesting as fairly different from the UK, particularly the food courts and all of the sushi offerings available.

I walked a lot and didn't feel unsafe. People were friendly. It can feel extremely busy at rush hour times though, which felt disorienting and wasn't a nice time to travel.

I travelled with my dp at the time, pre-kids, which would make a difference if I were to return with my family now.

I haven't been to Melbourne so can't compare as pps have.

Alwayscheerful Sun 12-Mar-17 21:24:39

We are flying in to Brisbane in December, spending a couple of days including New Year in Sydney, any suggestions please? You have me worried!

MakeItStopNeville Sun 12-Mar-17 21:30:10

I love Sydney! It had a great vibe to it. But then I don't like San Fran and everyone I know thinks it's the best city in the world.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 14-Mar-17 18:11:10

We loved Sydney when we went years back, but we were only there three or four nights over new year. We saw two firework displays, the main harbour and Darling Harbour and had a really party style night. The hotel and especially the manager was fantastic and the room had a harbour view that showed both the bridge and the opera house. My favourite thing I think was getting a pre booked water taxi from the harbourside to Doyles Fish Restaurant on the beach at Watsons Bay. They pulled up and shouted out our name grin

specialsubject Tue 14-Mar-17 18:39:38

The long awaited view of the bridge and opera house and the views from the manly ferry were full on dream fulfilled moments. Memorable walks at the harbour side and trip to the blue mountains.

Done in about three days really. Same for Melbourne which has horrendous traffic, and no real big show stopping views. Pleasant riverside but so has Newcastle upon Tyne!

I also like san Francisco!

Cherryblossom200 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:44:24

I'm thinking to live, Sydney doesn't sound that amazing. Maybe more for a short holiday and then move on elsewhere..

StarCrossdSkys Fri 17-Mar-17 21:53:35

No. It's big city, mostly pretty ugly, and it doesn't have the atmosphere of other big capitals like London or Paris, or of New York. It feels weirdly provincial.

trendydork Sat 18-Mar-17 03:22:49

We lived in Sydney for almost 8 years, amazing lifestyle and after a year's trial back in the U.K. to be near family we are considering going back there to settle with our two little ones.
Once you live there you really get into the relaxed beach life whilst still having a nice sized city on your doorstep. Really safe, positive can do attitude and great weather!! Melbs definitely a 'cooler' city and if it has the beaches and weather would be amazing!

Postagestamppat Sat 18-Mar-17 04:22:03

I live in Sydney and love it. It is not as cool as Melbourne. I read a quote in a newspaper comparing the two cities and the journalist concluded by saying that Melbourne has the larger number of hipsters, which is something both cities are happy about! The cbd (central business district - or centre!) is okay but does lack some character. It is the coast and the suburbs that make sydney. The beaches and rock pools are amazing, with new ones to discover every week. Each suburb has its own atmosphere and character. I'm always discovering new pockets that not even born and bred sydneysiders know about. You could easily come to Sydney walk through the cbd, to the opera house, look at the bridge and conclude that you had seen it all and that it is highly overrated. Or you could hire a car (public transport is rubbish) go to macculum pool in cremorne, Balmoral beach, walk along the foreshore in vaucluse and think that you were in paradise. If you are not a beach person then walk around the village of Balmain, go anyone of the 100's of weekend markets or the blue mountains. Honestly, there is so much more here than just the opera house and harbour bridge.

cjdamoo Sat 18-Mar-17 04:41:41

Sydney is pretty meh in my opinion. The blue mountains and the Hunter region are way nicer and commutable into Sydney if needed for work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now