Talk

Advanced search

Formula feeding abroad!

(11 Posts)
CeriClarke33 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:44:52

Going to Portugal with our 6 mo old soon. Any tips on the following would be really appreciated:

1. Sterilising - Milton tablets and bags? Or one of those tubs (bulky to pack maybe)?

2. Formula - going to pick up from airport. Was planning on getting normal powder and simply using bottled water and boiling kettle as staying in a villa. However I've heard bottled water isn't great as can taste different/has high levels of some minerals in etc? So my other alternative is pre made 1l bottles. We are going for 12 days - so only thing is if we go premade will be expensive and a lot to carry!!

3. Food - we'll have been weaning for around 3 weeks by the time we go. Should I just take some Ella's kitchen pouches? I have no idea how much she'll be eating - maybe 1 per day?

4. Nappies and wipes - buy them from Portugal?

Thanks in advance from one stressed out mummy!

Goondoit Mon 06-Mar-17 21:49:17

1-large tupperware box with Milton tablets

2-why bottled water? Boil the kettle and make the formula as you would at home-boiled water then flash cool. Pre order formula from airport boots departure lounge

3-youve only just stated weaning baby is just getting a taste buy some avocado/banana/carrot etc and give them some tastes but it's still milk baby is getting nutrients from

4-nope too expensive buy and take as much as you can!!

I took dd to France age 6m smile

CeriClarke33 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:23:20

Thanks for your help! For some reason I had it in my head that you couldn't use their water but if you can that'll make things 10x easier! Same with food will just pick a few bits up from supermarket whilst we're there. Thanks again x

crumpetsandcoffee Tue 07-Mar-17 08:31:25

Do not use the water! Always buy bottled and boil. There water is not safe for you to drink do therefore is not safe for a baby! Boiled or not! Not sure about nappies and wipes though when we went abroad we always just bought there as wasn't much of a difference and saved carrying them.

welshweasel Tue 07-Mar-17 08:33:14

Take those sterilising bags with the tablets in. You fill them with cold water and hang on a door handle and can use for 24 hours. Easier than having a sink full of Milton. Order your formula powder from boots at the airport - also get enough small bottles of premade to be able to take at least one a day out with you, so much easier. You don't need to use bottled water (although if its hot you may need to top up with bottles water during the day - you need to pick a low sodium one, look on line for the levels you should stick below). I'd order some pouches along with your milk, at that age we were getting through 3 a day plus some weetabix/ready brek. They will sell baby food in Portugal if you run out so no big deal. Ditto nappies. Try not to stress. We've travelled with DS a lot since he was tiny and people have been so helpful everywhere we've gone. Make sure you pack a change of clothes for everyone in your hand luggage in case of projectile vomit/poo issues (have been caught out before!). It's a fab age to travel, we used to do bedtime routine and put DS to bed in the pushchair with blankets and a blackout shade and then go out for the evening, was great.

LIZS Tue 07-Mar-17 08:34:17

I would think the water in Portugal is perfectly safe to use once boiled.

Nan0second Tue 07-Mar-17 08:34:44

The water is suitable for drinking in Portugal. Boil it in the kettle.
Bottled water can be bought but is usually too high in mineral content.
Portugal is a westernised country and will have everything you need. The supermarkets are huge and filled with all suitable stuff. Use actual vegetables for baby smile

welshweasel Tue 07-Mar-17 08:36:26

The water is completely safe to drink in Portugal. It just doesn't taste brilliant which is why many people drink bottled but as PP have said, boiled tap water is safer for your baby.

CeriClarke33 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:52:00

Thankyou so much for your help everyone! X

jamont0ast Tue 07-Mar-17 08:59:10

I ordered these 1 litre bottles and collected from the airport.

Still had to sterilise bottles but premixed formula doesn't need warming up, and takes away the faff of using water and warming up/cooling down etc.

Wait4nothing Tue 07-Mar-17 09:01:20

We have travelled abroad at 3 weeks, 5 months and 9 months (so far)

1. Easiest/least space way we've found is ziplock bag with Milton bottle in for travel (double bagged) then use said bags for sterilisation (I tested before 1st trip and used half a lid for a ziplock with 3 bottles in)

2. Ours is the expensive option but we used 200ml ready made bottles - purchased at airport. On holiday we like to make it as easy as possible for ourselves and this really is the easiest option (1l pre-made bottles need to be kept in the fridge once opened and used within 24 hours which hasn't always been good for us)

3. Are you doing any finger foods? We found it easiest just to hand her fruit, parts of our meals etc

4. We've always taken - takes quite a bit of space but didn't want the hassle of trying to find. Did have to buy wipes last time though as we ran out (paid €1.95 a pack!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now