Talk

Advanced search

Machupichu with children

(8 Posts)
user1475317873 Sun 05-Mar-17 09:32:07

Has anybody been in Machupichu with children?. We are planning a trip to South America next year. Kids will be 11 and 7 and a half. I am a bit concerned about the altitude.

Where do people normaly stay?Aguas Calientes, Cuzco, Ollantaytambo?

Is a week enough? or too much?

How long in advance do we need to book?

Thank you

mummymeister Mon 06-Mar-17 09:18:50

tbh we looked at this with our kids but because of altitude and health issues we went to Belize instead and had a brilliant time. loads to see and do - rainforest walks, following howler monkeys, manatee boat trips, snorkelling the reef, early morning bird walks on top of all of the history that we saw with the Mayan ruins. virtually deserted of tourists and we had the best time.

Rafflesway Sun 12-Mar-17 00:01:43

We were there in November!
(Sorry, only just seen your post!)

TBH, I certainly wouldn't recommend for children as health and safety seem to be pretty non existent in Peru.

There are lots of stone steps around the sites - Machu Picchu being one - along with narrow pathways and VERY little to hold on to, i.e. few handrails.

My DH suffered terribly with altitude sickness but not so much at Machu Picchu - which is a little lower - but certainly in Cusco and Lake Titicaca which are both considerably higher. He developed a racking cough and we had to keep buying him small cans of oxygen to carry around with him. Took a further 2 months for the cough to disappear after we returned home.

We stayed in Lima, Cusco, Aguas Calientes - the stunning but very hilly little village at the base of Machu Picchu - Lake Titicaca and Arequipa.
Certainly an amazing, once in a lifetime trip but I would wait until your children are in their teens before considering taking them. There is a LOT of hanging around the various sites whilst the tour guides explain historical facts during which time I think the children would be bored out of their tree!

Hope that helps, OP! Feel free to Pm me if you need any further info.

AdoraBell Sun 12-Mar-17 00:07:47

Haven't been, although I really want to, but I do know that you have to book specifically to go to Machu (bloody phone let me type tge full name) rather than just book a package deal for Peru.

I know people who took young children, but had a maid with them. So that meant 1 adult for each child.

MrsDanvers123 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:05:04

We took our son when he was 8, and he loved it! We flew into Lima and stayed there for a few days before flying to Arequipa and visiting Colca Canyon using a driver. We then flew into Cuszco and took a taxi to Ollantaytambo. We stayed at El Albergue, and this hotel is actually attached to the train station which was ideal for the first train of the morning to take you to Machu Picchu - we returned the same day as there is really nothing else to do in Auga Calientes once you've seen Machu Picchu! We then took a taxi to Cuzsco and stayed there for several days before flying back. This has been one of our son's favourite holidays and we would go back in a flash With regards to altitude, we didn't suffer, but that is no guarantee that we will never suffer - the natural remedy is coca tea and, embarrassingly, our son really grew a liking for it (blush) as it is provided in the lobbies of all the hotels, and you know what kids are like with freebies... HTH

user1475317873 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:17:01

Thank you and sorry for the late response.

I am still unsure as we don't know whether we are going to suffer from altitude sickness or not.

We are not flying straight from the UK to Machupichu as we are visiting other countries in Latin America first, the last city before flying to Machupichu will be 1500 meters so I am hoping we will be somehow used to the altitude. I also read that is better to stay at the sacred valley for a few nights to aclimatise before going to Machupichu and Cuzco.

If we do go and take the children with us we won't be doing any guided tours as kids do tend to get bored with it.

Rafflesway and MrsDanvers123 how long did you stay in Peru? is the is coca tea healthly/safe for children?

The narrow pathways with little to hold on do worry me. Perhaps we need to stick to the main open areas.

The other option is going to Argentina and visit Iguazu falls instead of Peru but I it is winter that time of the year there and I think you need more time in Argentina as there is more to do and see.

Okite Sat 18-Mar-17 09:24:16

We visited Peru before we had children, I don't think I'd take kids your ages. It took me a few days to adjust to the altitude, permanent headaches and difficulty breathing are not much fun. We flew into Lima and travelled to Cuzco, ollentaytambo, lake titicaca, aguas caliente and Machu Picchu. Lake titicaca and the floating islands would probably be the most fun for the kids, I think you can stay on an island, although we didn't, we just did a boat trip.
Beautiful place, stunning scenery but probably the hardest trip physically that we've done because of the altitude. We spent a week there, it was just long enough.

mummymeister Sat 18-Mar-17 12:28:25

Angel falls in Venezuela was a fab place. went there years ago and would love to go back again.

sadly don't think I will ever make it to Machu because of the altitude sickness which I know that I am prone to.

it does bring some pretty serious risks with it so would be absolutely sure before you commit to going. hopefully no one is asthmatic. also make sure your travel insurance covers you - some don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now