Talk

Advanced search

Manchester airport - contact lenses

(12 Posts)
Mrspotatohead18 Thu 02-Mar-17 15:10:53

Hi there, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if I need to put disposable contact lenses in my clear bag for liquids? They contain a saline solution, although I wasn't sure as they are sealed and I've read mixed responses on the internet. I'm planning on taking 3 pairs so would be 6 separate lenses. I'm flying to the Netherlands, I have hand luggage only no hold baggage.

Tia grinsmile

dreamingofsun Thu 02-Mar-17 15:16:13

can't comment on lenses. i caused a problem with lipstick though. it got highlighted on the screen and they did a handbag search. at my local airport lipstick is fine - thats what the security people told me.

NannyR Thu 02-Mar-17 15:17:44

If they have liquid in they should go in the plastic bag when you go through security.

WhatHaveIFound Thu 02-Mar-17 15:36:45

I normally put them in a clear bag but when i forget they get through anyway.

From experience it's eletronics they're bothered about so i take everything out of my bag that has a battery or a wire in it!

BarbaraofSeville Thu 02-Mar-17 15:46:33

I would. If you already have a plastic bag on the go, it's not a hassle.

GlassSeahorse Thu 02-Mar-17 15:52:54

I always put about pairs of mine in the liquids bag. Never had a problem.

Mrspotatohead18 Thu 02-Mar-17 16:45:11

I thought so, I was just unsure of the limit within the bag (you'd never guess I was a frequent traveller blush) my bag seals and all the items amount to less then 1 litre so I think I'm good grin

Thanks everyone

Helenluvsrob Thu 02-Mar-17 16:49:41

I asked at Birmingham. They said definitely ( I had a weekend away and a little while after 2weeks all hand luggage onlt) so I always put them in the bag.

But.... the spares in a little pocket in my handbag have got through before.!

The thing I've been pulled up for was a bloody notebook on its edge as it looked like a tube of something and of course it too ages to " find the tube "

IndianaMoleWoman Thu 02-Mar-17 16:52:50

They will need to go in the plastic bag.

However, you could pre order some from the Boots that is airside (i.e. after security) and pick them up on the day. If you're tight for space in your hand luggage, you can also order stuff like shower gel, toothpaste, shampoo etc. and it won't count towards your baggage weight.

Trumpdespiser Thu 02-Mar-17 16:55:44

Put them in the plastic bag, though having said that I have often forgotten and got through fine

heateallthebuns Thu 02-Mar-17 17:03:37

Well the woman in front of me was told to put lipstick in hers, I couldn't be arsed repacking so left mine in my wash bag, it went through fine.

specialsubject Fri 03-Mar-17 09:59:12

The rules are liquids, gels and pastes and have been for a decade. Hence lippie slap is included. As are lenses in liquid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now