Advanced search

Travelling with a dual citizen child.

(4 Posts)
Jennymumof2 Thu 02-Mar-17 00:10:09

I found a really cheap deal to majorca for me and my two girls in the first week of april and in my excitement forget that my youngest daughters British passport has just expired. I really cant afford to renew it as will be on a very tight budget for the hotel until we leave. She does have a valid USA passport as she has dual citizenship through her USA military father who is currently in America. Will it be a problem with customs in majorca and england on our return if me and my eldest daughter travel with our British passports and my youngest on her USA passport? I have her British birth certificate, my marriage certificate to her dad and her expired british passport will it be ok if I show those documents? I still have my maiden name on my passport and she has her dads last name. I desperately dont want to let my kids down and have to cancel the holiday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

hungrywalrus Thu 02-Mar-17 00:14:29

Should be fine. You can also take a photo copy of your husband's passport and a note saying he gives you permission to take his kids on holiday for these days. That then signed at the bottom. Should be fine. I travelled with my little one the other week with different country passports and different surnames. I was only asked for the birth certificate. If you are in any doubt, contact the airline.

Don't cancel your holiday!

Closetlibrarian Thu 02-Mar-17 00:17:54

I used to have dual US-U.K. citizenship and had this problem once. I entered the UK on my US passport and got told off - they told me I should have showed my expired Uk passport (I don't think I had it on me at the time) and that entering on a US passport meant I was technically only allowed to stay in the U.K. 6 weeks. This wasn't actually an issue as I lived in the US at the time and was only in the U.K. for a short holiday. Anyway, this was before 9/11 and I'm not sure they'd be so blasé now. If in doubt, can you call the Pasport office and check? But if I think they'll just tell you to renew DC's passport, expecially if you have time to do it before your holiday.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 03-Mar-17 10:22:41

I have US and UK citizenship and I agree with closet you need to exit the UK on the UK passport - they will check and ask where the UK passport is, not sure if the expired one will be acceptable and you need to check before you travel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: