Talk

Advanced search

Passport photos

(16 Posts)
MaryPlain59 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:33:42

When you send your passport renewal application form and they ask for two photos do you send the two photos as a strip of two or do you need to cut them into individual photos, and if so do you need to leave any border? I would be really grateful for any advice.

WreckTangled Tue 28-Feb-17 17:55:14

I cut mine into individual photos and leave about 3mm border. Hth

MaryPlain59 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:58:23

Great, thank you x

booellesmum Tue 28-Feb-17 18:00:21

Yep. I cut them with a slight white border.
You only write on the back of one of them.

MaryPlain59 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:14:47

Thank you, do you still need to write on the back of the photos if it is just a renewal? I couldn't see anything about it in the information booklet, sorry for all the questions.

WreckTangled Tue 28-Feb-17 18:21:14

You only need it countersigned if you can't tell that it's the same person in the expiring passport and new photos smile

MaryPlain59 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:30:04

Fantastic, thanks so much ☺

Bleu2 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:35:09

I've just renewed mine and it didn't need counter signing. That's only if your appearance has changed dramatically in past 10 years.

Also, there was no option to send a paper photo. It was all online 😮 when I did it.
There were 2 photo options:
1) get someone to take a phone photo of you (selfies not allowed) and follow all the correct guidelines. Upload said photo to passport website.
2) get a passport photo from somewhere like Timpson, who will email / save image to your stick or a disc. Then upload image as 1.

6 months ago I did the children's passport renewal and had to submit the application online, but sent the photos (which had to be counter-signed) via the post with a hard copy of the online forms.

MaryPlain59 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:39:52

Thank you Bleu that's really useful x

KP86 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:46:37

A phone photo? That's quite modern. All those snappy snap outlets charging £9/pop will go out of business.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 28-Feb-17 18:48:24

Also, there was no option to send a paper photo. It was all online

There is if you do the paper form. DH has just done his. It was back with on a week.

WreckTangled Tue 28-Feb-17 18:53:54

I did dd's renewal online but still had to send photos. I wonder if it depends on whether or not it needs counter signing? I assume childrens always do as they change so much in five years.

AnneOfCleavage Tue 28-Feb-17 18:59:14

Just done mine and DD's. Did check and send at P.O last Wed and they were sent by signed for courier today - v impressed.
Glad I did check and send as had to get DD counter signed as I thought she hadn't changed much so hadn't bothered then when I returned I had to go back and get mine counter signed as I had a small side fringe in my new photo compared with pony tail in old photo - looked same in every other way so annoyed I had to get it counter signed but it got sorted in end.

tinkerbellone Thu 09-Mar-17 21:29:58

Could I ask how long it took for the passports to come back please?
I've sent off four for my children & have left it a bit late (only four weeks till we go away) confused

Peterprinciple Thu 09-Mar-17 21:42:07

About a week

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 09-Mar-17 21:49:07

DH came back on less than a week

Might depend of it is a first application though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now