Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about Goa/India for next summer

(13 Posts)
Makemineacabsauv Sun 26-Feb-17 20:23:32

Looking for something different for next year but not got a huge budget. Roll be me and 2 DC - ds will be 16 and dd 15. Any ideas, recommendations etc etc? Never been and would love to see somewhere different. Need to go in school summer holidays (Scotland) so it will be July. Fancied Thailand but it sounds like that's the rainy season.

AnotherYellowBelly Sun 26-Feb-17 20:32:11

isn't it the rainy season then ? We went to Goa in a January and it was really really hot there!

Makemineacabsauv Sun 26-Feb-17 20:33:17

It probably is!! I did google it but although it mentions it being the rainy season it didn't mention it then for Goa!

AnotherYellowBelly Sun 26-Feb-17 20:35:08

We went to Baga and it was gorgeous, really fab holiday. Just my opinion but I'm not sure how safe I owuld feel there as a lone female. Some of the men on the beach and around the markets had very little boundaries even though I was with DH.

AnotherYellowBelly Sun 26-Feb-17 20:39:06

Yeh im sure it is during our summer. Also although Baga was beautiful, we were offered drugs openly in the street many times, literally behind our hotel there were shacks with people living in them which was heartbreaking, and many of the beach huts/cafes/bars had holes in the ground for toilets. Not sure if this is true for all of Goa but just to be aware.
Disclaimer: This was ten years ago!

Fintress Sun 26-Feb-17 20:40:46

July isn't a good time to go to Goa weatherwise plus a lot of places might be closed as it's off season. Koh Samui in Thailand might be a better bet. Thailand is a big place so the climate varies by region.

goldleaftea Sun 26-Feb-17 20:44:40

hi, i'm also scottish and based in india. i go to goa for half terms and long weekends with the kids. everything is moreorless shut in july because it's rainy season - i don't even think the night markets are on. The south is very nice and relaxed. it might be worth booking into a resort rather than beach shacks. somewhere like the alila near colva or the park hyatt. take a look at mymytrip.com and book flights and hotels separately rather than a package: It's much cheaper. Best time to go is first quarter of the year. pm me if you want anymore advice

goldleaftea Sun 26-Feb-17 20:45:12

sorry makemytrip.com

Blumkin Sun 26-Feb-17 20:50:40

Koh samui in Thailand is not rainy season (something to do with it being an island and weather patterns). We went there for the entire summer and had s few odd days where it rained for half an hour and then cleared up, but it wasnt too bad.

I looked at hotels but it was cheaper to rent a 2 bed villa (with private pool!) For the month. I loved having a villa, meant we could swim in peace, the beach next to us had a couple of cafes and restaurants, so could go out and not need to cook.

Makemineacabsauv Sun 26-Feb-17 23:05:50

Ooh thank you! Maybe not Goa then but thank you for sharing. Don't know if I want my sunshine escape being into another rainy season! Koh Samui sounds good and although I'd love the villa my dc need to meet other people otherwise they will just wifi and argue non stop!

ShanghaiDiva Mon 27-Feb-17 00:30:40

Places in SE Asia which are dry then:
Malaysian Borneo
Java
Brunei
Bali
parts of Thailand - not Chiang Mai area
Hoi An - have also been to Hanoi in July and only had one day with rain
Singpaore - pretty much the same weather all year round
Just a few ideas based on my July holidays

Makemineacabsauv Tue 28-Feb-17 22:48:13

Thank you! Will have a good look with kids over next few days!

Trumpdespiser Thu 02-Mar-17 17:00:58

Lombok is dry, different and could be done quite cheaply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now