Talk

Advanced search

Any travel insurance experts out there

(8 Posts)
Frazzled2207 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:08:50

Hello
We are off on our hols this summer all booked and paid for some time ago. Booked flights (easyjet) and hotel separately.
Want to organise insurance.
As well as the usual stuff, I specifically want insurance to cover the eventuality of easyjet cancelling our flights and us having to get alternative flights to our destination. I'm sure that they would reimburse but that's not going to be desperately helpful given that flights were cheap and I know alternatives to this particular place would be very expensive, probably extremely so at short notice.

I can't find any policy that covers this eventuality, I thought it would be commonplace but apparently not. What specific "wording" am I looking for?
Or is this the risk you take these days if you book flights and hotel separately.
Thanks!

specialsubject Tue 21-Feb-17 11:59:50

Shouldn't the airline provide alternative flights as an option to a refund?

whatever you do, get a move on. Insurance should be bought at the same time as the holiday. One accident, illness etc that causes you to cancel and you lose the lot.

Frazzled2207 Tue 21-Feb-17 12:45:49

Thanks. Did some research and according to easyjet ts and cs yes they should. Which is perhaps why we can't get insurance to cover this.
But no idea how this works in practice have heard stories of low cost airlines basically offering refund and washing their hands of everything else, but that might have been a while ago and things might have changed.

Frazzled2207 Tue 21-Feb-17 12:46:45

Yes granted we should get a move on but on the other hand we'll be buying an annual multi trip
Policy so don't want too much time "wasted" on it.

mummymeister Tue 21-Feb-17 15:51:06

ring a broker and tell them exactly what you want. they will do the hard work and find it for you.

Janek Wed 22-Feb-17 09:12:10

My uncle arrived at limoges airport to discover his ryanair flight was cancelled due to a strike. He was able to choose a refund, or rebook on any ryanair flight. The one he rebooked on came up as over £250 on the ryanair website, presumably because it was very short notice, but it coat him nothing (more). I would be surprised if easyjet were any different.

Frazzled2207 Wed 22-Feb-17 11:30:29

That's reassuring. I thought Ryanair were the worst for keeping people in the lurch perhaps the world has moved on.

specialsubject Thu 23-Feb-17 10:06:46

A lot more will be wasted if you can t go...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now