Talk

Advanced search

First time to Dordogne/Lot - which area?

(5 Posts)
popcorner Sun 19-Feb-17 19:25:42

We're planning our first trip to either the Dordogne area or Lot in July/August.

Family of 4 with 2 kids aged 4 & 5.

We're going to stay in a self-catering which we're in the process of choosing. I don't really know the area very well and am struggling to pick one area over another.

It's the first time we've been on holiday during the school holidays and have read a lot about how busy the Dordogne can get, but I don't really have anything to compare this with - how busy is busy? We've been places we consider busy before and didn't really have a problem with it.

Have read Lot would be a better bet since it's quieter.

We'd like to have easy access rivers or lakes for swimming. And also not be too far away from a supermarket, but have no qualms about staying in a very rural situation with a 10-20 min drive to a shop.

Would like to visit some nice towns for sightseeing and cafes (obviously).

Attached is a link to a map of our Tripadvisor shortlist (hope links are allowed)

Do you reckon we could safely pick any of these areas and still have a good time? Or would you say we should be preferring 1 area over another?

Thanks for any help!

…photobucket.com/user/ daveozzz/media/dordogn…

popcorner Sun 19-Feb-17 20:12:02

Sorry, here is the link
s1383.photobucket.com/user/daveozzz/media/dordogne_zps5e3jueqo.png.html

kath6144 Sun 19-Feb-17 21:07:04

We have taken our caravan to a site near Castelnaud, to the west of Domme, a few times in late July and highly recommend the area. Kids older than yours, probably 8 & 10 when first went, but enjoyed it.

The Dordogne river gets busy with canoes/kayaks, but there are quiet places to be found, plus lovely villages.

Domme itself is lovely, as is La Roque-Gageac and Beynac, there is a castle high up in Castelnaud worth a visit. Domme has a market worth visiting too.

The gardens of marqueyssac, high above river opposite Castelnaud, are worth a visit, particularly on the candlelit evenings (Thursdays) in summer.

marqueyssac.com

Sarlat is the main town in the area, it does get very busy on market days, but is worth visiting on other days too. There are a couple of decent supermarkets there too.

Further east is Rocamadour, which is worth a visit but is a full day.

We enjoy that area and havent found it overpoweringly busy. We will definitely be back there in the near future (going long haul this year).

BBCK Wed 22-Feb-17 17:25:57

We go to this area every year. Depend what you want really. The Lot region has lots to do but is not as pretty imo as other parts of the region. Sarlat is very busy in the summer but again lots of activities. I prefer further west and south in the Lot et Garonne. There are lakes and beautiful villages with great markets and the scenery is stunning. I have had great family holidays in brilliant accommodation with pools every year. My favourite areas are Bergerac, Villereal , and Fumel.

Lovelybangers Wed 22-Feb-17 22:04:38

We went a few years ago to a town called Daglan in the Dordogne. It was well located a short drive from Domme, Sarlat. Roque Gageac.

I think anywhere in that area would be great as there seemed to be a lot to do
Ours were teens and didn't want to partake much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now