Talk

Advanced search

Good stop offs with young kids in France

(8 Posts)
freethebiscuit Fri 17-Feb-17 23:09:51

We are driving with our 3 kids (4 years old and under) from Northern to Southern France this summer (not determined yet if arriving Roscoff, Calais or other)- any advice on towns/areas/accommodation to aim for en route down to stay/visit to break up the journey? We are heading to the Nice area for a wedding and could have up to 3 days to get down depending on which ferry/train we go for. After the wedding we might have a few days to get back and thought we might go into Northern Italy- again any recommendations? Just looking for child friendly places that are easy enough to find- TIA

Birnamwood Fri 17-Feb-17 23:20:36

We regularly travel to southern France and have found a couple of good stop overs. One is in Troyes (pronounced Twa - thank you mr aggressive French man for correcting me, I won't forget that in a hurry!) and one just north of Lyon which is absolutely gorgeous. When I get on my laptop I'll find you some links smile

freethebiscuit Fri 17-Feb-17 23:33:33

Thanks @birnamwood - the pronunciation tip might come in handy then smile

Birnamwood Fri 17-Feb-17 23:34:34

ok, this is the one just north of Lyon and can put you all in one room with basic cooking facilities, it is 10 mins off the motorway and is quite close to the local town (driving) It is a stunning, characterful place slap bang in the middle of a vineyard. Christian and Cecile who own it speak at little English and are really welcoming and lovely. (ps don't be put off by the staged photos grin)

Now, this one you will ether love or hate. We accidentally came across it as it was a little cheaper than the chain hotels and the roulottes can sleep 4, however they do have cabins that sleep more. We have stayed twice and found it spotless both times and really comfortable. Just don't take it too seriously - the kids loved it! It's not typically French but very unusual

freethebiscuit Sat 18-Feb-17 00:35:07

See what you mean about the staged photos! With my just-2-year-old at the moment- the staircase did panic me a bit in the one close to Lyon but that could ease in the next few months. Am guessing without having read all the info these places need to be booked sooner rather than later? The Western place looks fun actually and since we're staying in a chateau for the wedding, something 'different ' is appealing.

freethebiscuit Sat 18-Feb-17 00:35:17

Thanks!

Properjob Sat 18-Feb-17 00:44:03

Can't beat the Novotel Rouen Sud on the way to Brittany. Get a family of four in one room easily up to teen years! , lovely pool and grounds, great breakfast. Such happy memories of arriving there hot and tired and swimming before a drink outside...happy days

Birnamwood Sat 18-Feb-17 00:44:38

We've stayed in two different rooms there on separate occasions. The first time we were in the rooms upstairs but they're fine, there's a secure door. When we stayed it was roasting - 40°+ and they let me sleep on the floor below on my own without a snoring dp who was sharing with the dc grin but the second time we had the ground floor room. 4 massive beds, loads of space and it was cool. We will definitely go back again. When we arrived that time, Cecile produced a lovely bottle of local sparkling wine, chilled to perfection which was so lovely after a long drive wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now